Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,431   Online: 1010

Shooter
    Multi Format

Rolleicord shutter cocking lever question

If the shutter of a Rolleiflex Va or Vb has already been cocked, can you turn the cocking lever again? Or should it not move without first firing the shutter?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On my Rolleicord III, which seems to have the same mechanism as the V, the cocking lever will move freely to the right and back to the centre once the shutter is cocked. The tension in that direction only returns after the shutter is fired.

I assume this is normal operation as it's been that way for thirty years with no apparent problems, but I can't guarantee it.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an early Rolleiflex Automat. I never noticed, so I will have to check next time I take it out.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On my Rolleicord V with film in it, once I cock the shutter (which feels heavy), I can move the shutter lever to the same direction numerous times with very little resistance. Once I fire it, the next one cocking feels heavy and following ones are (again) very light.

Without film in it, I cannot move the lever in either direction.
    Last edited by tkamiya; 01-10-2011 at 06:44 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: critical typo
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    On my Rolleicord V with film in it, once I cock the shutter (which feels heavy), I can move the shutter lever to the same direction numerous times with very little resistance. Once I fire it, the next one cocking feels heavy and following ones are (again) very light.

Without film in it, I cannot move the lever in either direction.
    If your V has the double exposure preventer(? sp) on the face panel, move it so the red button is showing. You should be able to cock and fire the shutter w/o film in the body.
    Once the shutter is cocked, the cocking lever has very little resistance (can be moved) until the shutter is tripped.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I know....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think this is normal behavior, even going back to the first "art deco" Rolleicord.

Once you tension the shutter, there is a lot of play in that lever. At least, that's been the case with the few Rolleicords that I've handled.

By the way, the Rolleiflex Automat mentioned in one of the posts is a different beast from the Rolleicord -- it tensions the shutter and advances the film in one motion.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    By the way, the Rolleiflex Automat mentioned in one of the posts is a different beast from the Rolleicord -- it tensions the shutter and advances the film in one motion.
    Famously, two motions: forth (film transport) and back (shutter cocking).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollei fan View Post
    If the shutter of a Rolleiflex Va or Vb has already been cocked, can you turn the cocking lever again? Or should it not move without first firing the shutter?
    I have Rolleicord Vb. The lever can be moved freely when cocked That's normal, Once you will fire the shutter it'll get stiff again and actually ready to be cocked again. And so on...
    I was puzzled by that too at first.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ervin Pohl View Post
    I have Rolleicord Vb. The lever can be moved freely when cocked That's normal, Once you will fire the shutter it'll get stiff again and actually ready to be cocked again.
    The shutters on both the Rolleicords I have owned have operated like this as well - as do all the copal shutters on all my large format lenses. Knowing no better I have always assumed that this was how all manually cocked leaf shutters work.

Regards

Carey Bird
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~cbird/index.html

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin