Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,483   Posts: 1,571,224   Online: 1121

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Mamiya 645 Super/Pro with Nikon SB600 flash?

Hi

Please excuse a question from a newcomer to analog. I'm looking to put together a Mamiya 645 Super/Pro system and am wondering whether I would be able to use it with my existing Nikon SB-600 flash - I'm not expecting TTL or auto, just the ability to trigger the flash in manual mode from the camera's hotshoe without breaking anything! If I can then I will probably opt for the 150 f/3.8 L/S as my portrait lens so I can use fill outdoors. (I know I will have to cock it manually if not using the power drive II).

Thanks a million
    Andrew

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    After some further reading I think I can answer my own question. I don't think any of the M645 bodies will link the lens X-sync to the body hot shoe (although the AF models might, I haven't looked into them). The camera hot shoe only syncs with the focal plane shutter, so I would need a PC (m) to hot shoe (f) cable, so the PC connector can be plugged into the X-Sync terminal on the lens to sync the flash. For flashes with a PC sync connector a PC to PC cable could be used (the SB-600 does not have a PC sync connector).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I link my Mamiya RB67 to my sony 56am flash. Case of using the sync connection cable as you say but it works!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This sounds like it should work, but with shutter speed at 1/60 or slower. I have a Pro TL on the way, and also have an SB-600. The SB600 manual says it has "no limitations" in manual mode, whatever that means. Hmm..... I doubt it would hurt the SB600 in manual mode, but we can flip a coin to see which of us tries it first and maybe fries his camera.

And according to these folks, it will work... http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00QMl6
    It's info from the internet, so it must be true, right?

One thing's for certain--I'm not shooting weddings, so if a simple hot shoe setup won't work I'll do without flash rather than have that gaggle of cords and adapters hanging out all over the place that are required to use the "recommended" Metz system flashes for this camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011-01-11_074854.jpg   2011-01-11_081102.jpg  
    Last edited by picker77; 01-11-2011 at 10:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The RB67 works with flash synced to any speed with the leaf shutter. There are some leaf shutter lenses for the 645 or do they all use the focal plane shutter?
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Should be fine but obviously without any of the Nikon TTL functions.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With one annoying side effect though. If one shoots in landscape orientation, the flash ends up side ways - which would result in very weird side-ways shadow....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    With one annoying side effect though. If one shoots in landscape orientation, the flash ends up side ways - which would result in very weird side-ways shadow....
    Get a good flash bracket and you'll be able to change the flash orientation.

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    Get a good flash bracket and you'll be able to change the flash orientation.
    The left hand grip which I use with my RB67 should also fit the 645 (and the Mamiya TLRs). This has a 'normal' upwards facing accesory shoe.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    The left hand grip which I use with my RB67 should also fit the 645 (and the Mamiya TLRs). This has a 'normal' upwards facing accesory shoe.

Steve.
    I have and love it on my RB67 as well! I use it even without a flash whenever I'm hand holding the beast which is most of the time. Can't help you with Mamiya 645 compatibility however.

Happiness is...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin