Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,743   Online: 920

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Hasselblad 50mm CF B60 lens hood - useful, or too small?

Hasselblad 50mm CF B60 lens hood - it looks awful small to be of any use. I was going to order one off of eBay, but looking at it, it doesn't appear to be deep enough to shade anything.

Anyone have experience with this? Does it help, or is it a waste?
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It helps, but is too short, yes.
    It's made to be used on all lenses from 60 mm Distagon to 38 mm Biogon. So it is short enough not to vignet when used on the Biogon, but too short for the other two bayonet 60 wide angle lenses.

What i have done, is get bayonet 60 shades for the 80 mm lens, and shorten them.
    Hasselblad was kind enough to calculate for me by how much for both 50 mm and 60 mm lenses: by 17 mm and 15.5 mm.

Mind you: the resulting shades are not much longer than the bayonet 60 38-60 lens hood. But the optimum length still.

Because original Hasselblad shades are rather expensive, you can get those Chinese "For Hasselblad" shades to play with.
    They are rather soft, brittle plastic, compared to the original ones. And they don't go on as smoothly and securely as the originals. But they work. And are very cheap.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That seems like a good idea - did you just take a Dremel to it and cut around the edges?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had planned to use a band sander. Put it on there and let the thing 'wear' it down. Thought that would be easiest, to get straight edges, evenly long on all 4 sides.

I took a metal ruler, and scored a line on all 4 sides using an exacto knife, to know where to shorten it to.

Then i found that the sharp knife did a good job, and ran it along the groove it created some more, until it was all the way through. Took a while, but not that long that i regretted doing it this way.
    The rounded corners were a bit fiddly to do, but since i was almost done, i just kept on using the knife.

I did that first on an original Hasselblad shade, which is made of pretty hard plastic.
    I did it again, the same way, on those Chinese hoods, and it took no time at all. Pressed too hard on one, and the side cracked. So take care.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just got a 50mm in a trade from one of our great Apugs and being the cheap guy I am ordered one of the ebay $ 14.00 knock offs shades. It is the same size as the Hassy one, and agreed almost too short to be of serivce.

I've put my bellows shade on the 50mm and it is much bigger, covers more and looks rather sexy too. But it is very hard to lug about the trees and limbs in fear of puncturing the bellows. Much better shade coverage.

Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks QG - Great information as always.

I agree Lee - the bellows shade is great but too hard to travel with. You'll love the 50mm btw.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    Thanks QG - Great information as always.

I agree Lee - the bellows shade is great but too hard to travel with. You'll love the 50mm btw.
    I do like the 50mm, although see the new post living with old glass.

I do have a 40mm CT* and that has had a CLA a while back, my have to keep using that in the cold, the 50mm shivers below freezing it seems. BTW I have a hood for the 40mm and it is a monster of a hood.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Lee - Just read that. Yeah, I send all of my "new" gear off for CLA now - I just plan on it when buying.

Dave Easterwood should be able to get you fixed up for well under $100. Using the lens with old gummed up lube could damage the workings long-term.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry to reopen this thread, but I have followed Q.G.'s advise and made a hood for a "new" 50 that has to arrive in some few days.

As usual from Q.G., very useful information. So thanks for that.
    Alfonso

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you are on a tripod a hand is as useful as a French Flag.

edit...
    http://www.dinkumsystems.com/pro-lens-shade/
    Last edited by Xmas; 08-13-2014 at 05:09 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added link

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin