Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,536   Posts: 1,572,742   Online: 786

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Medium format lenses with leaf shutters

I have a 4x5 box camera that has a 90mm lens. I want to make a similar camera for medium format, so I was thinking that if I could find a lens that has an internal leaf shutter that can be tripped somehow, I could use it for my box camera and have focusing ability and a shutter built-in. What medium format lenses have leaf shutters, and are there any that can be easily triggerd externally? Also what formats do they cover?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    the lens from a mamiya c330 would work perfect for something like that, although its a twin lens camera both lenses are mounted to a common lensboard. You could use a spanner wrench to remove the taking lens and mount it to your own lensboard, the shutter is easily cocked and tripped from the front.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You could buy an older folding camera and remove the lens/shutter assembly. They all used leaf shutters, and you simply would have to mount the entire thing to the box that you make.

There are all kinds of lenses available, from three-element anastigmats to Tessar types to the Voigtlander Heliar. Your best deals would be on the triplets.

Plus, some of the shutters are able to accept a cable release.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    As I think about this, the best shutter will be the Compur (and Soviet and Japanese copies).

Then there is the Pronto(r) and below that are very simple two- and three-speed shutters with very simple lenses, including two-element achromats.

And it all depends on what you want to do and the type of lens that you want: triplet, Tessar type, coated, uncoated, etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The rb67 lenses are leaf shuttered and can be triggered mechanically. Look for Erie Patsellis' comments here on APUG; he took the front off an old rb and put that on a lensboard. Also I have done quite a few things on 4x5 and 5x7 using the rb lenses, they have quite a lot more coverage than most MF lenses, even at infinity focus.

An especially fun MF lens for LF amusement is the rz 110/2.8, although the shutter is triggered electronically so it's not quite obvious how to make that work (I just hand shutter it).
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a 65mm f/3.5 Mamiya C series black lens that is not in great condition that I would sell for fairly cheap. Glass has cleaning marks (which do not affect the sharpness to my eyes, but are very visible on the lens). Shutter speeds all work, but there is always a split second delay between when you press the release and when the shot fires. Lens board looks a bit warped too, though I do not have a clean one to which to compare it to find out for sure. I wanted to sell it and eventually get something cleaner. Might make a decent wide for a not-too-serious box camera.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you looking for both a leaf shutter and a focusing helical? If so, you will need something like either a Bronica or Hasselblad lens for their cameras that have no focal plane shutters, or something like a Mamiya lens that is intended to be used with one of their focal plane shutter cameras.

A C330 or RB67 lens has a leaf shutter, but needs a focusing mechanism.

One thing you will need to figure out is how to deal with the shutter cocking and double exposure prevention mechanisms built into these lenses.

The leaf shutter lenses for the Mamiya 645 cameras might be a good choice. They are designed to be cocked by hand, and are set up to be usable with stop down metering. The older, 70mm version can often be obtained at reasonable cost.

These lenses can not, of course, be counted on to cover formats much larger than they are intended for. In addition, if you are intending to use a lens intended to be used to cover a rectangular format, you may find that they won't cover the equivalent square format - they are sometimes internally baffled to minimize flare.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Each Hasselblad Series V lens [500, 501, 503 ...] C, CF, CFE, CFi lens has a built in shutter.

A 90mm lens on 4"X5" is roughly equivalent to 20mm in 35mm or 38mm Biogon for Hasselblad SWC [56mm x 56mm]

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was assuming fixed focus, or maybe Mountain, Tree, Person type focus, but, silly me, that is not necessarily the case just because it is a box camera. As others have said, you will, of course, need a focusing helical if you want to be able to steplessly change focus.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that an RB67 lens would be ideal, except that you would either have to take the lens off the camera to cock it, or perhaps figure out some sort of mechanism to do it. The issue is that the cocking mechanism is basically in the mount. I would guess that other lenses are similarly designed, so that they can be triggered from the body.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin