Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,491   Posts: 1,542,946   Online: 894

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Need advice on Hasselblad 500C Focus issue.

I just got a 500C with a 80MM and split focussing screen. Went out and shot some PlusX today and tanked two rolls tonight. And every dang one of them is out of focus. I shot with the lens stopped down to about f8 (brackets) and even those were off focus. Focus on 90% of the shots was at infinity (landscapes) but still out of focus on paper. Checked my enlarger lens and condenser and did a shot from my Mamyia 645 and it was razor sharp. So not the enlarger. What gives? Could it be the A12 back pressure plate? I have another back but it has a roll of Portra in it so can't test until tomorrow. I bought the unit from a local guy not Ebay and the camera and lens look perfect. Am I missing something?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I went back over my shot log and most exposures were at 1/125 sec but I was handheld. Anybody think that could have been it? I'm going to try a roll of Ilford tomorrow on a pod with a cable release and see what that does.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Was the screen the standard screen? I ask because the 500C does not have a user swapable screen like the later CM's did. The 500C's need to have them fitted and focus has to be calibrated by a technician with the right tools to make sure the screen represents what the lens sees. It could be that someone has had one installed and it's not been done right.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If it's a late model 500c then they were to have user swappable focus screens (I know this because I own one).... Is ur focus screen backwards??? Is the frosted side up or down... Should be down...

Thanks though you just made me go and check my focus. (which can be done with the old a12 back that has a view though the back to check frame number and a piece of ground glass)
    Last edited by heespharm; 01-12-2011 at 11:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Andrew's explanation was what I was thinking too, but it doesn't explain the infinity shots (assuming the lens was actually set exactly to infinity). I hate to say it, but it sounds to me like the body is warped and needs some professional TLC. That would be my guess anyway. 125th handheld has always worked for me using an 80. The reality is, a good CLA will put your mind at ease and guarantee a 100% solid camera for 10 years at least... worth the money I think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is there a plane of sharp focus somewhere in your scene, or is everything blurred?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nothing in the plane is sharp. I did have one shot I tested with my flash but didn't develop and under a loupe if seems to have better sharpness. The screen is installed correctly. The fellow that owned the camera before me used it professionally and is the original owner. There are no drop marks on the body. Maybe it was me doing something dumb. But at infinity? Strange.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just had a thought. See what you guys think. I was shooting yesterday in 15 degree temps. Is it possible that going from inside my warm car to outside (it was probably 10 minutes before I started shooting) that the film itself had condensation? The lens did not as the image on the focus screen was sharp. Am going to try a roll today and test for focus , but it will be tonight before I can develop it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Shoot a picture of a ruler long ways and focus at 6 inches on the ruler.
    And see
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think film can get condensation going from warm to cold, only cold to warm? (which is why you want the temps to equalize on film you keep in the frig/freezer before loading in your camera). Hmmmm... I'm thinking it may be your film back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin