Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,704   Posts: 1,548,474   Online: 865

Shooter
    Medium Format

Rb67 65mm c lens floating element ring stuck

Should this be free turning... Is there a reason it would be stuck in one position??? Can this be self fixed??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's normal for the floating ring to be moderately stiff. Some lens's helicoids seize up over time (eg 55mm f/2.8 Micro Nikkor) but the RB C-lenses with floating elements aren't prone to this. Maybe something has broken off inside.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Which ring is stuck??? There is no focusing element on RB67 lenses, the body focuses using a bellows instead so the lens can only change its aperture and shutter speed, and there is a stop down slider. Mine is the older pre-C version; did they add another ring?

My 90mm f/3.8 C lens is the same except it has the manual distance/DOF scale too (you have to look up the distance and set it yourself as there is no coupling with the body bellows focus).
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    Which ring is stuck??? There is no focusing element on RB67 lenses, the body focuses using a bellows instead so the lens can only change its aperture and shutter speed, and there is a stop down slider. Mine is the older pre-C version; did they add another ring?

My 90mm f/3.8 C lens is the same except it has the manual distance/DOF scale too (you have to look up the distance and set it yourself as there is no coupling with the body bellows focus).
    Get a 65mm and you'll see the problem. The "extra" ring should move. More info here:

http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/009mzN

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Get a 65mm and you'll see the problem. The "extra" ring should move. More info here:

http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/009mzN
    I do have a 65mm but not the C version. I guess they changed it. My Mamiya Sekor 65mm doesn't have a distance ring on it like my other Mamiya Sekor lenses.

I guess I have an older version without a floating element. Sorry, I thought it might be the same. I have noticed some odd stuff when using it as a macro but I thought it was just due to the narrow DOF:

Little brown mushrooms edit by Harry Pulley, on Flickr
    Last edited by hpulley; 01-14-2011 at 09:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Happiness is...

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    I do have a 65mm but not the C version. I guess they changed it.

Edit, from that page:

I have an older version without a floating element. Sorry, I thought it might be the same. Seems the old design is simpler. I still find it quite sharp and use it for both 'macro' and landscape duty.
    Yup, the "bonus" ring was a late model feature that carried over to some of the KL lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Yup, the "bonus" ring was a late model feature that carried over to some of the KL lenses.
    Sounds like the simpler, earlier design may be a safer bet for 30-40 year old lenses. I bet most owners don't realize they need to turn it so it probably gets seized up.

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I notice my fine-tune "focus/floating element" adjustment ring is stiff as well. I'm making sure to turn it regularly to ensure it remains that way until i've some CLA funds set aside to have any short-comings brought back to spec.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I forgot to add that i have the "C" version 65mm lens.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin