Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,885   Online: 1026

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jglass View Post
    BrianShaw:
    You may have missed the point: 1) this could be fungus which will grow and take over the lens; 2) I paid for an "excellent" lens but did not get one. I'm trying to get my monies' worth and avoid future issues.
    No, I got your point. To be blunt, I think you may be worrying the problem too much. But more than that I agree with others who have said that if this is a concern to you then you should return it and get another lens that meets your requirements. It sounds to me like your best option might be return rather tahn haggling a cleaning. What if the cleaning still doesn't bring it to the condition you expect?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jglass View Post

The risk of fungus and the cost of cleaning make me want to return it.
    Then return it.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have this on a couple of my lenses. Never bothered me any,and it's never progressed, so I ignore it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    It sounds to me like your best option might be return rather tahn haggling a cleaning. What if the cleaning still doesn't bring it to the condition you expect?
    Then you refuse it. But yes, you must make sure that a good condition is conditional for the deal.

I have 'negotiated' such deals with my local shop a couple of times. Told the owner that i would buy the lenses (it happened to be lenses) he had on his shelf, if he made sure they were in a good, usable condition.
    It did happen with one lens that it turned out that the CLA-job had still left the diaphragm a bit sticky. So it went back to be CLA-ed again and only when it was good i bought it.

May sound a bit hard on the seller. But then, he can't sell defective goods anyway.
    He didn't like it that the CLA-job he paid for had to be done again (and he readily agreed that it was not done well), but i'm sure he sorted that out with whoever did it for him.

The thing also to consider is that when you pass on an otherwise good lens, you begin the gambling game again, looking for one that perhaps has bigger problems, and needs to be CLA-ed to be usable too.
    Have one, whose faults you know, properly seen to, and you'll know you have a good one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I understand your story, but forgive me, but I wouldn't consider either your stoy or the OPs situation to be in the category of "defective goods" at all. It is used merchandise. If a buyer doesn't like the condition they should move on to another option. As the seller, I would have asked you to move on and find something more to your liking... or I would have raised the price to a "mint" price.

In fact, I'm not even sure I would consider the OPs situation to be out of scope for EX description. If it were "mint" or "NIB" then I'd say there mgiht be a misrepresentation issue... maybe.

Given the number of used Hasselblad lenses on the market, I hardly think there is a large risk or gamble... but I understand your point.

Peace out. Good luck to the OP in whatever you choose to do!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I understand your story, but forgive me, but I wouldn't consider either your stoy or the OPs situation to be in the category of "defective goods" at all. It is used merchandise. If a buyer doesn't like the condition they should move on to another option.
    Yes. Another option, like asking him if he would agree to have the lens cleaned.

If he says no, you move on.
    If he says yes, you win.
    But if you don't ask, you don't get anything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes dear.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin