Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,769   Posts: 1,516,501   Online: 804

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hasselblad Lens issue

I just received an 80mm CF lens and it shows tiny, pin prick size white spots, evenly distributed on what I believe is an inside element. This is only visible against a dark background with a bright light shining through the lens, catching these dots at an angle so they become visible. Looking straight through the lens, they're not visible.

Is this fungus? Is it haze? It doesn't seem to be dust because it is so evenly distributed and so tiny.

I feel pretty sure this won't affect images, but I believe it will affect resale and I can return it for a refund, no problem, right now. I would prefer cleaner glass, but I'd like to know what I'm dealing with here to talk to the dealer about a return.

Any opinions on what this is? Any opinions on the effect on images?
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Could be fungus. Though being evenly distributed would suggest it's probably not.
    Haze is the result of a deposit of some sort of stuff, which (a layer of something) it could be. Or indeed just light bouncing off something, but then it would not appear as tiny white spots.
    It could even be tiny air bubble in the glass.
    Impossible to tell without seeing it.

If it doesn't affect the image... Are you getting this lens to use, or sell on?

But if you're not happy with it you should of course return it, and find a cleaner one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had an unusual deposit on one of the inside elements of a Hasselblad 50 lens. It wasn't fungus or haze; more like hundreds of really tiny little droplets of oil spread evenly all over the surface of the element. I got it cleaned by Hasselblad in the UK when I was there for a visit. They were not able to tell me what the spots were. The lens had never been opened before, so it was quite a mystery...

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Regardless of whether you want to use or sell the lens, if it is fungus I'd send it back. I don't really bother with dents, dings, scratches, dust or whateve but fungus I avoid like the plague. It will grow and it will become an issue and it will cost money to fix but the most important thing is that it may spread to everything else in my camera bag. And that is a risk I am not willing to take.

My opinion.
    Hasselblad 501CM, 60CB, 80CB, 160CB
    Mamiya RB67SD, 65KL, 90KL, 127KL
    Nikonos V, 35
    EOS 3, 40/2SL

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iandavid View Post
    I had an unusual deposit on one of the inside elements of a Hasselblad 50 lens. It wasn't fungus or haze; more like hundreds of really tiny little droplets of oil spread evenly all over the surface of the element. I got it cleaned by Hasselblad in the UK when I was there for a visit. They were not able to tell me what the spots were. The lens had never been opened before, so it was quite a mystery...

Ian
    Ditto with a 75mm macro switar !

I thought maybe oil after a shock/drop ? It really was a mystery also - cleaned up perfectly though
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the replies. I can't seem to get a decent photo of it; it's hard to see, but once you see it, wow, it looks bad, very heavily distributed fine specks across an inside element, I guess.

I will likely keep the lens forever, but I don't think I got what I paid for. I don't think it's an "excellent" condition lens at this point.

The risk of fungus and the cost of cleaning make me want to return it.
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jglass View Post
    This is only visible against a dark background with a bright light shining through the lens, catching these dots at an angle so they become visible.
    How often are you planning on doing this whilst photographing? If not, then the tiny, near-invisible spots are likely to be of no consequence.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    BrianShaw:
    You may have missed the point: 1) this could be fungus which will grow and take over the lens; 2) I paid for an "excellent" lens but did not get one. I'm trying to get my monies' worth and avoid future issues.
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes. If you have any doubts about the lens, just bring it back. No need to keep worrying about it, even if that worry is just a slight niggle in the back of your mind.

You could ask the seller to pay for a CLA, agree to keep it if he does. Perhaps share the cost. That way you don't have to risk getting another used one with possible issues you have to worry about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Q.G. that's a good point about getting it cleaned.
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin