Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,410   Online: 1109

Shooter
    Multi Format

Pentax 6x7 + 105/2.4 - OR - COntax 645 + 80/2 - what would be your choice ?

OK, to be honest - I am not about to buy any of these (my wife still recalls the price of the Mamiya 6 .. ), but I have seen some excellent portrait, still life, close-up and documentary work where thin DOF helped to isolate the subject. At the same time medium format delivers smoothness and tones.

So - I am asking - for the photography mentioned above - what medium format SLR with fast lenses would you choose for such photography? Contax 645 + 80/2.0, Pentax 6x7 + 105/2.4, Mamiya 645 + 80/1.9 or something else? For get the price differences.

O know one could take Crown Graphic with Aero Ektar, but let just put that one aside.

I am a happy user of Mamiya 6, but it does has its limitations. And sometimes I would like to try a different approach.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can swing it, I'd go for the Contax. If not, the Mamiya. I like the P67 too, and I love the Pentax lenses (that one in particular), but it is quite a lot bigger, and not as versatile, IMHO.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Contax for me as well.
    Chris Klug
    -----------
    My photo life story: http://patternsoflightndark.com/wordpress/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mamiya RZ67 with the 110mm f/2.8 lens

Best of the bunch for close-up work.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Mamiya RZ67 with the 110mm f/2.8 lens

Best of the bunch for close-up work.
    I have a 645 1000s with 80/1.9, and RZ with 110/2.8, and I'll second this.

Besides the close-up advantage, if you want a little puff of fill flash, you won't be using any of the fast 645 lenses or (especially) the Pentax. In addition, the magnification advantage of the RZ means the 1.9-2.8 jump isn't as big as it looks.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin