Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,645   Online: 980

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Put a crummy, poorly-coated filter on your lenses, shoot without a lens hood, and you may like what you get. I have bought a few "bad" filters just for this purpose. I usually use them with my 4x5's when I want to use movements, but find the image quality of the big film to be overkill. I think Hassy lenses are technically stunning, but I prefer the more "mild" signature of my Mamiya C series and Press lenses over all. It's hard to describe. The Mamiya lenses are perfectly sharp; they just seem to have a lighter touch, whatever that means. Pentax lenses remind me a lot of Hassy lenses. Technically stunning, but a bit heavy handed for what I like sometimes.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "T* is Zeiss language, Slixtiesix, and not called T* on lenses made by Rollei, because of just that."

Oh no Q.G., why was I already aware that my statement would provoke a reaction like this the very moment I wrote it ...
    Of course T* is a Zeiss trademark and the designation is used for lenses they produce for other camera mounts too. However, not all lenses that are marked HFT were made by Rollei under license. Only some were (in fact the 50mm, 80mm and 150mm). The other lenses were still manufactured by Zeiss but labeled HFT because of uniformity. So Zeiss lenses made for Rollei=HFT, Zeiss lenses made for Hasselblad=T* and that was the way I meant it

Best, Benjamin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Zeiss lenses made for Alpa, Sony, Arriflex, Nikon, Leica, Contax, ... all and sundry T* (if not plain T).
    The only odd one out was Rollei. See?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I only meant it with regard to the distinction of Rollei and Hasselblad, but you´re right, I shouldn´t have referred to it as "Hasselblad language" because it is of course a Zeiss terminology.

But one final word: Rollei is the only odd one because they are so special!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm not arguing with that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What a tough question that is, as far as I'm concerned, the Sonnar CF 150mm is a quite "special" optic, I use it the most, but heck, that's only personnal taste, of course!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You would not go far wrong with the old C lenses the 120mm is worth a look as is the 40mm which is one of the biggest and heaviest medium format lenses I have ever owned.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by aluncrockford View Post
    You would not go far wrong with the old C lenses the 120mm is worth a look as is the 40mm which is one of the biggest and heaviest medium format lenses I have ever owned.
    That is the truth right there - I thought I wanted the 40mm, until I handled it in person. I picked it up with both hands and decided right then and there that I have other cameras I can shoot wide angle with.

As for the OP's question, the only lens I have for my Hassy is an old chrome 80mm (I think it's from 1970). It sure does have character compared to all my other camera lenses. It has a nice luminous almost 3D quality at the wider apertures that I do not see in any of my other lenses, even the nice Canon L primes.

You might be surprised to find the 60mm is wider than you think. I find that the 80mm seems wider than a normal lens on 35mm. The 50mm is quite wide, close to a 28mm. I think the "wideness" of the lens has a lot to do with the aspect ratio of the format. It doesn't translate perfectly between formats. I own a Fuji 6x9 with a 90mm lens. "Normal" on 6x9 ranges from about 90-110mm, and I'd say mine gives the feeling of a 35-40mm lens on 35mm. Maybe rent or borrow a couple of lenses to get a feel for them. Hasselblad lenses are an investment.

Peter Gomena

rc51owner
    Quote Originally Posted by pgomena View Post
    The 50mm is quite wide, close to a 28mm.
    Peter Gomena
    If the 50 is close to a 28mm in 35mm format then the 60 would be close to a 33mm. No? I can appreciate that the aspect ratio would impact the feel of the focal length since isn't the focal length normally defined based upon the diagonal
    Quote Originally Posted by pgomena View Post
    Maybe rent or borrow a couple of lenses to get a feel for them. Hasselblad lenses are an investment.
    Peter Gomena
    Now that is a great suggestion. The LCS (local camera store) that I bought the 501c body from has a rental department. I need to do is now get a back and some film and then I can go to town. Oh I also need to learn how to load film/use the camera/meter without a meter... quite a lot of things in fact

Regards,

M

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin