Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,999   Posts: 1,524,320   Online: 801

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

250mm for Hasselblad

Hello,

I'm looking to get a 250/5.6 for my V system, mainly for landscape use. I've found a few of these but not too sure which one to go for. All with clean glass:

250C for £150-250
    250CT* for £200 (not so sure about glass condition on this, need to check)
    250CF for £500

Now I don't particularly like the handling of C lenses with their fiddly constant aperture coupling and heavy focusing but since I'll be using the lens not that often on a tripod I reckon it won't matter that much. Would you say it is worth getting perhaps an older lens and getting it serviced (costs about £100-150 to service) so I have a "new" one vs getting a CF that might need servicing in a few months?

Also, is there an obvious image quality difference between the C, CT* and CF versions? Because if a CF is visibly better than a C/CT* I'll get one of these.

Thanks.
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by film_man View Post
    Now I don't particularly like the handling of C lenses with their fiddly constant aperture coupling and heavy focusing but since I'll be using the lens not that often on a tripod I reckon it won't matter that much.
    Assuming a similar state of abuse, the CT*'s and CF's are equally stiff. IOW, the difference between the one sample to the next will exceed any difference between the two types. My experience at least.

I also have a CB lens. Those, and the crazy-expensive CFi's, are smooth-focusing.

Would you say it is worth getting perhaps an older lens and getting it serviced (costs about £100-150 to service) so I have a "new" one vs getting a CF that might need servicing in a few months?
    Unless you hate the EV-coupling, go for a serviced, cheaper CT*. The CF will add nothing but harder edged aperture blades (looks ugly in the OOF highlights, IMO). The CF will of course add the F setting, but I don't think many people use that.

Also, is there an obvious image quality difference between the C, CT* and CF versions? Because if a CF is visibly better than a C/CT* I'll get one of these.
    I see no difference, speaking for CT* vs. CF. I don't know about C lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Forgot to say: the C(T*) lenses have built-in self-timers, the CF's (and later) don't. Yet another point of consideration

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would not purchase a C. One of the things that appeals most about the Zeiss T* lenses is the consistency they have, from one lens to another, of their excellent contrast and color.

I like the CT*, because I am used to their aperture and speed coupling and I do not like the CF the way it was changed in that regard. More importantly, I do not like switching from one to another. If, like you, I preferred the CF style lens; I would stay with that, especially if you are going to buy one in less than good condition and have it serviced.

In regard to condition, the reason you buy a lens is for the glass and that should be flawless. If it is not, the price should be deeply discounted. A lens with flawed glass may produce a usable image, but it will not bring a normal price if sold to a knowing buyer. If you buy a lens with glass issues and the price is not reduced, compared to a similar lens with mint glass, you should expect to have to deeply discount the lens if you, later, decide to sell it. Make your seller take that loss, in full. Do not allow him to pass any of it on to you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    All depends on condition.
    If the C is in good shape, and you do not mind the C-controls, why not? Keep in mind that a newer lens may actually be in worse condition.

Coatings do not matter that much, the difference between the T coating on the older C lens and the T* coating is minimal. Usings a good lens hood does more, and is needed using T* lenses as well as uncoated lenses.

The optical design of the f/5.6 250 mm Sonnar hasn't changed since it first became available for the 1000-series Hasselblads in the mid 1950s. It did not need to, since it was very good to begin with.
    And they do indeed all perform equally well. Indistinguishable.

Hello,

I'm looking to get a 250/5.6 for my V system, mainly for landscape use. I've found a few of these but not too sure which one to go for. All with clean glass:

250C for £150-250
    250CT* for £200 (not so sure about glass condition on this, need to check)
    250CF for £500

Now I don't particularly like the handling of C lenses with their fiddly constant aperture coupling and heavy focusing but since I'll be using the lens not that often on a tripod I reckon it won't matter that much. Would you say it is worth getting perhaps an older lens and getting it serviced (costs about £100-150 to service) so I have a "new" one vs getting a CF that might need servicing in a few months?

Thanks.
    Ansel Adams used an early 250 to shoot his Moon over half dome picture.
    http://www.hasselbladinfo.com/forum/...ead.php?t=5128

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I generally do not like the coupled C/CT* controls but since I'll be using the 250 pretty much on a tripod I can live with that! On the other hand I couldn't live with them for something general purpose like my 80 (or a 150 that I will also be buying after the 250 which I'm almost sure will be a CFi one).

I think I'll go for the C/CT* lens, they are less than half the price of the cheapest CF I can find and thus I can afford a service and a hood and still have spare money for an A24 that I'm also eyeing. Plus I found a couple of silver 250C that just look cool.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By the way, which hood does the 250C and CT* take?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A bayonet 50 hood, initially called "150", later "100-250"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks QG.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin