Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,521   Online: 848

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a 503cxi that I bought used from a wedding photographer. I've never had it CLA'd and it's doing just fine. I know I should have someone look at it, but I just haven't taken the time. The only time it jammed was when I put an extension tube on in the wrong order. The only problem I've had with mine is that it doesn't fit my hands very easily so I use it on a tripod 90% of the time.
    And my Fords have been my favorite cars.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    On Hasselblad Reliability :

The bodies and lenses - I've been using 500C, C/M, ELM, ELX for 30 years, with the older C lenses. If you consider all the moving parts and complexity they have, Hasselblad of that type and era have been very good and on par with Nikon reliability. But, like other cameras I recommend spares are a good idea when you can afford them. You can buy a spare body for next to nothing and stripped way down they way nothing when you're miles from home. I use 500CM and ELX for my work.

The backs - have always been known to have some irregular gaps between frames over long use. If you have one body at least have 2-3 backs and have one going and one loaded with another roll all the time. Good insurance is to take a jeweler file and put a notch in the film opening somewhere on each so you can track down a problem with the back when it's got a problem. The light seals which are user replaceable are the most common repair to them. I use a mix of older peep-hole style and late 70 style non peep hole backs.

A agree with Bethe above - tripod is often necessary for using one.

I have always used Hasselblads for the amazing characteristics of the lenses available. They aren't the lightest or the most ergonomic MF cameras by a long shot.
    Last edited by kreeger; 01-30-2011 at 09:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kreeger;1130612A
    agree with Bethe above - tripod is often necessary for using one.
    Me too agree. 90% of the time I use mine on tripod and the remaining 10% on monopod. These numbers are approximate and may vary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought my equipment used and within the last 14 years each and every part I have or had needed service at some point (4 lenses, 3 mags, 2 bodies). With one exception: All the 2000fcw ever needed was a fresh battery. And it also never jammed ...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Just my two cents worth, but when I worked at a camera shop (oh so many years ago), the repair guy used to refer to Hasselblads as "Hassel bombs" because he would get more of them in his shop than any other camera, and yes they were, shall we say, "tempermental". That having been said, I own a Hasselblad system and even though I enjoy working with it, I feel that it could be much more reliable. Luckily for me I have a very good and reasonable repairman to work on it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by M Stat View Post
    Just my two cents worth, but when I worked at a camera shop (oh so many years ago), the repair guy used to refer to Hasselblads as "Hassel bombs" because he would get more of them in his shop than any other camera, and yes they were, shall we say, "tempermental". That having been said, I own a Hasselblad system and even though I enjoy working with it, I feel that it could be much more reliable. Luckily for me I have a very good and reasonable repairman to work on it.
    Those problems can be grouped under Operator Assisted Failures. Better known as Oafs. Oafs complain about cameras [any brand] because they are too lazy to read or follow the instruction manuals.

QC has outlined the source of the problems the oafs cause in post #9.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    I have one 500 C/M body, in regular use, that hasn't been serviced since i got it new 30 years ago, i.e. never. Never a problem either.
    I certainly agree with Q.G. on this.

I've been shooting Hasselblads for over 40 years, and I repair them.

The equipment is built like a tank. By far the most rugged design I've ever seen among all the camera brands that I've serviced, and I only work on pro-grade gear.

All of my Hasselblad equipment except the CFV-39 was purchased used, because I can't afford the new stuff. I've never had a problem with any of it. I must confess that I never CLA any of the gear, although I should. I have serviced a couple of shutters, but that was years ago.

Anyhow, if you hear somebody griping about Hasselblad being unreliable, close your ears.

I can't address the quality of the new H series since I've never used or serviced any of it.

- Leigh

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin