Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,201   Online: 831

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think i would have bought one of the very many, inexpensive Hasselblad left hand grips instead ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps a prism would be helpful? I generally don't find holding the camera without a grip an issue but I can see how focusing with the magnifier can affect framing and then framing will affect focusing. If that's what you mean?
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, if a MF doesn't fit your kind of shooting, that is one thing. But personally I'm very confortable in shooting handheld with the Hasselblad. Just waist-level finder, nothing else attached. You have to use it a bit to get the hang of it -and the left/right inversion- but then it becomes absolutely natural.
    But everything comes down to each one's taste. I can only recommend you to try a bit further, don't let yourself be scared away at the beginning.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    One trick to improve your handholding: get a (cheap nowadays) EL-model.
    The added weight really does wonders to stabilize the camera, while still not being enough to make it a bit of a burden (like the RB/RZs).

Images
    I've not heard of the EL model, but you're right - bodies are relative cheap and I've got everything else.

As far as the strap goes, it seems at sometime distance past I saw the name of someone who made or sold straps for these. Anyone know who that might have been? I'll google it, but just wonder if anyone knows right off.

Thanks to you all for your replies!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jgcull View Post
    I've not heard of the EL model, but you're right - bodies are relative cheap and I've got everything else.
    EL-models are the ones with the electrical motor drive fixed underneath. Modified versions of which were taken to the Moon by NASA and used in the U.S. space program until they went with digital still cameras only.
    They were made from 1965 (500 EL) until 2006 (555 ELD). Three other versions inbetween: 500 EL/M (1971), 500 ELX (1980) and 553 ELX (1989).
    The motor and batteries add weight (and height), which makes for stable handholding.

For some reason, people don't want to buy these machines (probably to bulky? A fear of batteries?), and consequently they are rather cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Before I bought a 503CW, I held one with the CW Winder/grip and it had a 45° prism as well. I found this to be the perfect combination for me as far as ergonomic handholding. But it's still a heavy beast!
    Strap and WLF is going to be a lighter setup and once you get the hang of holding it from the underside, I think you'll like it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use a strap made by Optech (US). Good stuff, very comfortable for your neck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cradle in your left hand and release the shutter with your index finger, wind on with the right hand, the same applies if you use a prism finder. What's the problem? Use the right hand to focus and steady the camera.
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by film_man View Post
    Perhaps a prism would be helpful?
    My thoughts exactly. This was the one investment that really helped me for hand held shooting. I don't mind the reversed view when on a tripod but handheld I get more keepers with a prism.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin