Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,537   Posts: 1,544,268   Online: 775

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Images

need help shooting Hassy handheld

I'm thinking about trying to find a way to shoot my Hasselblad handheld before selling it for something I don't have to use a heavy tripod with. I looked on KEH for some kind of "grip" (?) but all I see is flash brackets. Just what should I be looking for? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Janet

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Have you tried shooting it handheld without a bracket? I've never had any problems. I find using the neck strap can help to stabilize it.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am also looking for a grip. For the hassy they are called flash brackets. I have not yet got one though. I would be getting it for a different reason though. I would be getting it for the reason of speed with a prism. The way the prism rests against your eye is not the same position that your hands wants to hold the camera. With the flash bracket it will put my hand in a better position. Also the flash brackets sometime have a release built in. I will be getting one soon from a photographer in my town, it is also the same guy I actually bought the camera off of. I will let you know when I get it.

What kind of finder do you use?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The pistol grip that fits under the camera works well but it's best used with a prism finder. There are various other grips that are labeled as flash brackets, as you've discovered. The flashgun bracket #45071 has a similar shape to the pistol grip, and would might work for you, especially if you'd like to operate the shutter with your left hand, but would also work best with an eye-level finder.

What sort of problems are you having with hand holding?

Like Jeff, I don't have hand holding problems with my Hasselblad, but one of the reasons I like them is that they fit my hands well. Certainly "your mileage may vary".

Images
    I use the waist level finder.

I just find it awkward holding that little box, focusing, and shooting without moving it. I love so much about it, but it doesn't lend itself to the type of shooting I do... much of the time. I've thought about selling it and getting something else, but I don't know what. And I'm afraid I'll regret getting rid of it. I do love the large negatives, and I like so much about the images when I get one I like. But I cannot move quickly with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was using my flash bracket this week. seems best used w/WLF because of the angle of the grip. I was out shooting in the snow and it helped me control the camera while I was under-dressed for the outing.

doing a shoot this weekend of a 2year old with the bracket and a Nikon SB 28 flash and a slaved mono light to fill the room.

I like the bracket in things like this because it has a release and I have a firm grip on the camera.

before the Hassy I had a Mamiya 645 1000S and a grip too with a release. much lighter and I could walk about with my hand open but the strap on the grip kept the camera in place. I miss that aspect, the Hassy is bigger and bulkier.

Don't give up on the camera yet. I also have a trekking pole with a 1/4-20 on top I use.

Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As Jeff Bannow suggests, use the neck strap to stabilize the camera. Here's how. Shorten the strap so that the camera hangs mid chest. Put your hands through the strap from each side and cradle the camera in both hands. Press the camera against your body and pull your elbows in, close to your body. It will be very stable. Before you press the shutter, take a breath, let half of it out and hold. Press the shutter. Try it. It'll work.
    Morry Katz

Consider a monopod. They are light, relatively inexpensive, and can make a big difference.

I can't hold a Rollei or a Hasselblad. I use a tripod.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Medium Format
    To each his own, but i think using a flash bracket makes handholding more difficult. Not easier.
    What it does is move the weight out of your hand, and out on the end of a lever. The fulcrum of that lever coincides with your wrist, i.e lies at the extre end of the lever arm.
    So what using a flash bracket does is put a strain on the wrist of your left arm, making it work constantly to keep the lever arm - and camera - level. Not good.
    And it will make you bring in your right hand to support the camera as well. Which works, but you have to use that right hand to do other things as well.

Without a bracket, keeping the camera in your left hand, you support it from below. Which is a far more stable grip. And far less of a strain.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I posted this in another thread recently and you probably don't want to do it but one of my father's friends once drilled a couple of holes in the base of his Hasselblad to make it fit onto the Mamiya RB67 left hand grip!

I think I would have removed the pins from the grip instead.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin