Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,285   Posts: 1,535,083   Online: 1174

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hasselblad Planar 80mm C T or 80mm CF?

Hi,

I found a good deal ($905) for a 501 HB Black, with a Planar 80mm 2.8 C T lens. Any big differences in sharpness or ergonomics between the the C T and the CF lenses besides the fact that the service might be a pain. Also any thoughts on the 501C.

Thanks is advance guys.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The 501 C is a good camera. Not very much different from the 500 C/M (fixed wind crank, no signal window, other foot) or any other 500 C(...) model.

It originally came with a CF lens less the F-mode, thus called a C lens, but very much a CF lens less the F-mode, and not a Synchro Compur C lens. So which one, which type of C lens is it?

Anyway, optically, except for the rare very earliest and later CB lenses, they are all the same. So though a Synchro Compur lens works a bit differently, it produces same quality images.
    T or T* coating is a difference so small that it's almost ridiculous to think of it as a difference. (But you will need to use a lens hood, even with T* lenses.)

The ergonomics of the old type C lenses are somethign that needs adjusting to. The shutterspeed and aperture rings are interlocked (to maintain EV when changing settings). You can only change aperture by changing both until the desired aperture is set, then release the interlock and change the shutterspeed to the one you want. Since the aperture scale can extend past either end of the shutterspeed scale, it may take two goes to set the desired combination.
    The all metal rings are also a bit harder on your hands than the later smoother ones. The rubber grip focusing rings of later lenses are much nicer than the scalloped metal ring of a C lens.
    But it's not too bad. Not at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find C/CT* ergonomics are different to the the newer lenses. Personally I find the C controls worse, the aperture and speed are coupled so the lens will keep the EV constant and you just change the aperture/shutter combo. If you want to adjust them separately (i.e. you metered for the next shot and it has a different EV) you pull a little tab and then turn the ring. The focus ring is also just the metal body with a, what I would best described as, serrated edge. Which given how heavy the focusing is could probably be used to chop a steak.

The newer CF/CB/CFi/CFE lenses CF lenses have "normal" controls, i.e. the aperture/shutter rings are separate and there is a little button which you can press button to lock together to keep the EV constant.

So personally I find the new style controls much nicer for everyday use. Saying that I just bought a 250CT but I'll be using it on a tripod most of the time so I don't care much.
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like the coupled aperture and shutter speed, because I bracket a lot. That said, I'd want a CF or later lens for my 80mm, since it's my most used lens. I agree that the rubber grip of the newer lenses is nicer. Also, the (possible) shortage of spare parts spooks me.

-Laura

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lns View Post
    I like the coupled aperture and shutter speed, because I bracket a lot.
    "Bracket", as in: producing a series of images with the same exposure?
    Because that's what you get leaving the aperture and shutter speed rings coupled.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I just bought the camera so cross your fingers everything will be OK because I have a bad luck ordering used equipment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    good luck nj
    you'll love it. don't get frustrated at first as it takes a bit of use to master focussing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin