Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,689   Online: 856

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Newbie to the group with a camera addiction

My husband advises me that my old Brownie is medium format (with a 2.5 x 4.5 negative). I found her (yes, my Brownie is a she) at a junk shop for under $15. I probably spent too much but she is in working condition and all her parts are there. Nothing missing.

So, if I'm in the wrong part of the forum, please tell me...because I've either used a 35mm Pentax (K1000) or my old Minolta X370. Anything other than my point and shoot digital (Sony H7) is pretty much new to me (except for an old Helioflex I found for $5...which I had to take apart and fix).

I did mention I have a camera addiction, right?

I cut down an 8x10 sheet of Ilford multigrade rc paper and used a bit of tape to hold it in the camera (until I can figure out something for a film holder - or figure out how to get 120 film in there as 127 is too small - as I have a couple of rolls of THAT for yet ANOTHER Brownie ).

So, I was having some fun with one of my ball joint dolls, just to see if I knew what I was doing. (Sometimes, I think I do. Other times, I have to stop and ask for directions because I'm completely lost.)

My model as the cats won't sit still long enough...nor will my kids unless I want a photograph of yet another hand. (I've quite the collection of hand photographs.)

I was rather happy with the results.

Anyway...if this is the wrong spot, please let me know where the old Brownie fits in around the forum.

Thanks,

Susan!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd say it fits in right fine.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    http://www.brownie-camera.com/
    Look up your camera here... some of the manuals are listed.
    Is it 120 or 620? If 620, go here http://www.brownie-camera.com/respool/respool.shtml

Have fun!
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Home, Susan !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep. Welcome to the place where no one ever says you're silly for buying another old (junky) camera. Kinda' fond of them myself. Keep buying, fixing and shooting, Susan. Soon the rest of the family will be wondering if you'll ever get back to the time when your purchases were just $15.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pinhole_dreamer View Post
    Thanks!
    It's 116! ROFL! I've checked everywhere, including Kodak - and asking my uncle who worked for Eastman Kodak up until '90 or so. He verified no 116 film. I'll have to figure out a way to get the 127 or 120 to fit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron LarFor4X5 View Post
    Welcome Home, Susan !

Thank you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pinhole_dreamer View Post
    It's 116! ROFL! I've checked everywhere, including Kodak - and asking my uncle who worked for Eastman Kodak up until '90 or so. He verified no 116 film. I'll have to figure out a way to get the 127 or 120 to fit.
    Welcome!

And to give you a taste of how good APUG can be:

http://www.makinghappy.com/archive/000179.php

(616 and 116 are the same size - the spools just differ slightly)
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    Yep. Welcome to the place where no one ever says you're silly for buying another old (junky) camera. Kinda' fond of them myself. Keep buying, fixing and shooting, Susan. Soon the rest of the family will be wondering if you'll ever get back to the time when your purchases were just $15.
    Junk schmunk. If it will work with a small bit of tinkering, then it's not junk. It's a well-loved baby!

The family wonders why I spend more on the dolls than I do my cameras. I told them to wait...just wait. I'm just wishing I could have talked my husband into letting me have the $200 for the old Eastman Kodak bellows camera I saw at an antique shop. It looked like one of the ones from the 1930s...only big, not able to hold easily in your hand when it was folded. There was a smaller one there, too, fit pretty well in my hand, about the size of a decent paperback...just a bit taller. I was dancing around when I saw both of them. I *really* should have bought the smaller one as it was quite a bit less expensive ($30). I'm still kicking myself over that one.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin