Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,216   Online: 773

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya RB67 180mm Sekor C rear element?

Hi Gang,

OK, this is about the most NEWB question ever posted here, but.....

Do RB67 180mm Sekor C lenses have rear elements?

I bought my 180mm Sekor C for my RB67 Pro-S some months ago, but haven't been able to do anything w/my RB Kit until recently (put new light seals in).

As i was looking things over, i noticed on my lens that there was no glass in the rear-element area - i could simply touch the apeture blades if i so desired. I'm sorta panicking....

Did i get ripped off?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I read the lens diagram for that lens correctly, the aperture is behind the rear element.

So if I'm correct, your lens is too!

FWIW the blue dot 135mm lens I have for my Mamiya TLRs is the same way.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks MattKing - when you say "behind the rear element" from which direction do you mean? Sorry i'm not understanding you..

Ultimately, is it appropriate for my lens' aperture to exposed as it is - that i can touch it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My 180mm 4.5 C is just the same as yours, so I would say yes, you should be able to see the aperture blades in between the rear opening of the lens and the first element from the rear of the lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fmajor View Post
    Thanks MattKing - when you say "behind the rear element" from which direction do you mean? Sorry i'm not understanding you..

Ultimately, is it appropriate for my lens' aperture to exposed as it is - that i can touch it?
    The aperture is at the very rear of the lens - closest to the film.

All the lens elements are in front of it - farther from the film.

And yes, it is appropriate that the aperture is exposed - just be reasonably careful with it.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is a great lens, really like mine!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    @MattKing/jpreston - thanks so much.

WOW! This is very peculiar to me for something so "delicate" to be so exposed. Just plain weird. Yea, i'll definitely not be handling it as loosely as i'm able with other lenses (more a concern about dust/dirt/etc than pushing my finger through...).

I'm excited to use the lens, but now all the more "concerned" with an even greater need to exercise care w/my gear. I'm usually *very* careful with my stuff, but a delicate, exposed assembly like an aperture takes things up another notch...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fmajor View Post

WOW! This is very peculiar to me for something so "delicate" to be so exposed. Just plain weird. Yea, i'll definitely not be handling it as loosely as i'm able with other lenses (more a concern about dust/dirt/etc than pushing my finger through...).
    These are my thoughts exactly.
    I need to check my RZ version but if it were the same I think I would've noticed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have owned a 180mm RB lens for a few years now and hadn't noticed that!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't imagine a design so delicate as that which is implemented in the 180mm Sekor C to persist into the production years of the RZ Series.

Maybe this particular focal-length lens was specifically intended for studio work/portraits only? That would seem luxuriously work-specific/limiting (from a use-perspective) in a lens model line-up which was not particularly rich with selections (compared to 35mm lens ranges).

I don't understand these things, but am thankful for the Members of this Community who do!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin