Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,692   Posts: 1,482,417   Online: 711

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I second the Portra recommendations, if you over expose it you get paler, more pastel-like colours, and it's looks great for skin. Also I would imagine that the wedding dress would look pure white, not grey-ish.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another vote for Portra. And i'd go with Tri-x for b/w(but that's just because it's my favourite film).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    for slow film i will go with Acros and Ilford FP4+, TMAX and TriX are both great in medium speed films.
    For color, i will go with Reala, Porta, and Fuji Pro films, if i shoot outdoor with some nature and things surround the bride or groom then i can include velvi as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    eBay? I suppose there are actual retailers on eBay too but I wouldn't trust questionable film if I was shooting a wedding professionally, I'd buy from a reputable dealer to ensure the quality of the film, good storage techniques and so on. If you're just a guest taking pictures then by all means buy on eBay.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    I like Fuji Reala but for a wedding you'd probably want a 400 speed such as 400H or the new Portra 400.
    Fuji Reala was my father's choice for weddings for many years. Accurate skin tones whilst keeping the wedding dress white (assuming it was to start with!).

Fuji Press film is similar emulsion but in 400 and 800 speeds if you think you will need a faster film.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by haring View Post
    I am totally new in the world of film medium format photography...

What film do you recommend for people and wedding photography? What is your favorite film for these purposes?

Thanks!
    Otto
    The best b&w for skin tones are Ilford HP5+, or even XP2-Super. Ilford has always had a certain element in their films to hide blemishes in skin, it's wonderful. For color Just about the only choice left is Portra 160NC or 400NC.

Some of the other films suggested (Neopan 400, Plus-X) have long been discontinued in MF. Which is a shame, I used to like Neopan 400.

Try checking out the options at Freestyle in Hollywood. They carry fresh, and unique films.

Good luck with your shooting.
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Changing the subject temporarily, three consecutive Gretsch avatar images!

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yeknom02 View Post
    I have never shot a wedding, but I know what I like. For 100-speed, I like Fuji Acros, and for 400 speed Ilford HP5+, though Kodak Tri-X is nice as well. Both can also be pushed to 1600 easily if you have low light. I wouldn't worry too much about grain on 120 film.

For color negative, the latest Kodak films are my favorite - Ektar 100 and Portra 400.

Freestylephoto.biz is my go-to vendor for film. It's actually cheaper than eBay for most new films. To me, eBay is only good for the occasional expired lot of film.
    +1 Ektar and Portra 400, or Pro 160S and Portra 400.
    Ektar is great on skin tones and is not "garish"

B&W.. FP4+ and Tri-X, something cheaper, then Shaghai GP3.

The highlight detail isn't sacrificed on Ektar either.. it just goes on forever.. using Sunny-11 (which i prefer to Sunny-16 in most situations for daylight, even on digital), I had some shots I accidentally overexposed at least 4 stops from the sunny-11 choice.. the nice bright clouds still held contrast/detail.. grainy sure.. but its there whether you want to burn it in while printing or another method, or if you want to reign the highlights in after scanning/copying, the point is there is a lot of highlight room

Ektar 100

Me Aerial Filming by athiril, on Flickr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Changing the subject temporarily, three consecutive Gretsch avatar images!

Steve.
    Just goes to show we have good taste!
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolleijoe View Post
    Just goes to show we have good taste!
    Indeed. I have a Rollei too!

Steve.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin