Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,470   Online: 1090

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would go for T-Max 100.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolleijoe View Post
    Some of the other films suggested (Neopan 400, Plus-X) have long been discontinued in MF. Which is a shame, I used to like Neopan 400.
    Long discontinued? We just got notice that Plus-X is going away in 120, but plenty is still available. Which probably just goes to show that it's not a big seller.

I'd stick with Portra 400, Tri-X, or T-Max 400. The Portra 400 is a great film. You could try 160VC or NC if you want something slower, or even Ektar, but I think Portra 400 is where it's at.

Tri-X or T-Max 400 for B&W film. The T-Max is going to be finer grained and sharper. Both are wonderful films and it's really up to your taste.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very few couples want their weddings shot these days on transparency film or in monochrome that some members are suggesting, I would stick to to the films that are made for social photography Fuji Pro 160S Fuji Pro 400H Fuji Reala or Kodak Portra 160, or Portra 400 NC or VC .
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    To those upset about certain films being discontinued in MF, it is sad, but I suggest you buy enough short date / out of date film and freeze it. You'll have enough film, in good enough condition to use forever.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by st3ve View Post
    To those upset about certain films being discontinued in MF, it is sad, but I suggest you buy enough short date / out of date film and freeze it. You'll have enough film, in good enough condition to use forever.
    Or better yet, continue to purchase fresh film, to help insure the longevity of your favorite films.
    I am a very keen advertiser for using the same film over and over and simply change your technique to alter the results.
    For weddings, you want high speed films, so Kodak Tri-X, Ilford HP5, Kodak TMax 400, Ilford Delta 400, or even Foma 400 would be good choices in black and white. They all exhibit fine enough grain (if used fresh, and exposed, processed, and printed with enough skill). For color, I can't help but like Kodak Portra 400 NC. I am yet to try out its replacement Portra 400, but am eager to. Their grain in 400 films will enable some very large prints these days.

When shooting a wedding, always use what you are familiar with. never test film at weddings. Use fresh film, so that you don't have weird color shifts. The fewer unknown variables you introduce, the better it is.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd throw in the suggestion of TMY2 for B&W choice. In my TLRs, it is plenty detailed for 15x15" prints. There is no real need to use a slower film for more detail. It's presently quite affordable in propacks of 5rolls from B&H, freestype, adorama, etc... If you want slightly different results, develop it differently. Works nice with xtol, pyro developers, d76, tmax developers, and more.

Shooter
    35mm
    Tri-X 400

Shooter
    35mm
    I think it's fair to say you have a lot of options here.
    Yes, I do have a lot of options! Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Or better yet, continue to purchase fresh film, to help insure the longevity of your favorite films.
    Exactly what I'm doing with Plus-X in 120. I bought a few bricks for the freezer, and I'm going in to full fledged mode with FP4+. Better to shoot film from a healthy Ilford than to cry about Kodak. If by some miracle Kodak's film is spun off and Plus-X comes back, I'll evaluate it then.

Still looking for APX to hit the streets again.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd sure try HP5+ in PyroCat at some point... It gives beautiful skin tone separation that adds dimension very nicely. Eyelashes jump out sharply from edge effects but it's kind to skin lines at the same time. I've settled on the MC variant and rate at 200.
    Craig Schroeder

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin