Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,582,988   Online: 1060
      
Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 79
  1. #1
    haring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    109

    Recommended film for MF people photography?

    I am totally new in the world of film medium format photography...

    What film do you recommend for people and wedding photography? What is your favorite film for these purposes?

    Thanks!
    Otto

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Da Gulf
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    85
    Images
    1
    B&W - Neopan, most likely. Tri-X is also popular, but IMO that's a personal choice. I like Acros 100 if I can get away with it, but regular Neopan (400) is quite nice too. Very creamy tones, might as well not have any grain on 120. Tri-X is still the look we love with a fair amount of grain. Don't be afraid to use it by any means, because the grain is less pronounced in 120 Tri-X vs 35mm, but Neopan is my first choice. Others will chime in and probably suggest an Ilford film, and a Foma film, and so on. I'd say just use whatever you would in 35mm. Every film looks better in MF.

    Color - something like Astia for slide, Fuji Provia or Kodak Portra (Kodak 160/400 NC is the portrait emulsion, either one in a "VC" is for vivid color) for color neg. Again, the same emulsions as 35mm.

  3. #3
    haring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by st3ve View Post
    B&W - Neopan, most likely. Tri-X is also popular, but IMO that's a personal choice. I like Acros 100 if I can get away with it, but regular Neopan (400) is quite nice too. Very creamy tones, might as well not have any grain on 120. Tri-X is still the look we love with a fair amount of grain. Don't be afraid to use it by any means, because the grain is less pronounced in 120 Tri-X vs 35mm, but Neopan is my first choice. Others will chime in and probably suggest an Ilford film, and a Foma film, and so on. I'd say just use whatever you would in 35mm. Every film looks better in MF.

    Color - something like Astia for slide, Fuji Provia or Kodak Portra (Kodak 160/400 NC is the portrait emulsion, either one in a "VC" is for vivid color) for color neg. Again, the same emulsions as 35mm.
    WOW! I have a lot of choices!
    Where is the best (and cheapest) place to buy them? Ebay?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Central Florida, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,071
    You have LOTS of choices.... I perfer Kodak products so I use Tmax 100, 400, Plus-X, and Tri-X. For whatever reason, I have issues with Tmax in 35mm but not so in medium format. I like 'em all.

    edit - sorry, I just assumed you meant b&w. I only shoot b&w so I have no opinion on color films.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

  5. #5
    yeknom02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    State College, PA, United States
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    308
    Images
    5
    I have never shot a wedding, but I know what I like. For 100-speed, I like Fuji Acros, and for 400 speed Ilford HP5+, though Kodak Tri-X is nice as well. Both can also be pushed to 1600 easily if you have low light. I wouldn't worry too much about grain on 120 film.

    For color negative, the latest Kodak films are my favorite - Ektar 100 and Portra 400.

    Freestylephoto.biz is my go-to vendor for film. It's actually cheaper than eBay for most new films. To me, eBay is only good for the occasional expired lot of film.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by haring View Post
    ...Where is the best (and cheapest) place to buy them? Ebay?
    Freestyle.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,301
    The new Portra 400 is very nice, so is Neopan 400, but Fuji have made 120 size Neopan 400 unavailable.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Da Gulf
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    85
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by yeknom02 View Post
    I have never shot a wedding, but I know what I like. For 100-speed, I like Fuji Acros, and for 400 speed Ilford HP5+, though Kodak Tri-X is nice as well. Both can also be pushed to 1600 easily if you have low light. I wouldn't worry too much about grain on 120 film.

    For color negative, the latest Kodak films are my favorite - Ektar 100 and Portra 400.

    Freestylephoto.biz is my go-to vendor for film. It's actually cheaper than eBay for most new films. To me, eBay is only good for the occasional expired lot of film.
    Have you tried 400VC? I just sent out a roll of it in 120 recently, just a roll of shots from an outing one eve, actually I did quite a bit of experimenting... I'm somewhat eager to get it back but not so much as my Velvia 50 120

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Oxfordshire, UK.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    2,221
    I like Fuji Reala but for a wedding you'd probably want a 400 speed such as 400H or the new Portra 400.
    Steve.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Da Gulf
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    85
    Images
    1
    I think it's fair to say you have a lot of options here.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin