Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,298   Online: 909

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Where is this light leak coming from?

Howdy folks

Took a walk with my 500C/M today and an old C-12 back (that I posted about a few days ago.) Out of 12 shots, only 3 had light leaks. I remember when shooting this that the sun was to my back, and I think this is light coming under the door covering the peephole on the back. My friend thinks the light is coming in from the dark slide slot.

Anyone else want to guess? Or know for sure?

Edit: All three light leaks are the same shape, in the same area. This is the longest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lightleak.jpg  
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Your friend is most likely right. Here's an easy test.

Take out the film cartridge and the dark slide. Then, try to look through between the space where the dark slide goes in. Use your finger nails or something sturdy in an effort to create as much space as possible between the slit. If you can see the other side between the slit, then the light seal there is eroded and needs to be replaced.

I got a kit from Ebay for cheap, but you can contact Hasselblad directly for a genuine kit, which is not that expensive AFAIK. The replacement is also quite straight forward.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That looks very much like a seal leak. Last time I purchased seal kits from Hasselblad they were $18 plus shipping.
    Replacing them yourself is easy and takes 15-20 minuites. See this link for step by step instructions

http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/HT/HTSeal.aspx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Definitely a seal leak. See post #3.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you kindly folks!!

My photo seems to be a textbook example I shall be performing repairs this weekend

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually my friend is doing the repair for me. In the meantime, I have gotten an A-12 back. With the C-12 repaired, I will have two

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin