Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,210   Posts: 1,531,983   Online: 1135
      
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11
    lxdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Redlands, So. Calif.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,622
    Quote Originally Posted by kawasakiguy37 View Post
    I do like 6x6, but I also like 6x7 and 6x9. Im not looking to go smaller than 6x6 as I have a D3 and for all normal purposes it takes amazing pictures. Hassie is appealing, but still a lot, lot more than Id be willing to afford....I bought this camera for a little less than $500 and I dont think I could possibly afford anything more expensive
    Then forget the Bronica ETR series and look at the SQ series. They are 6x6 and not much larger than an ETR-Si.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

  2. #12
    Adrian Twiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wigan (oop North) United Kingdom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    611
    Images
    10
    I owned an extensive Exakta 66 system for a number of years which included both Zeiss Jena and Schneider lenses. I currently own a Bronica SQB and a number of Zenzanon lenses. I found for enlargements of around 15 inches there was no discernible difference between Schneider and Zenzanon lenses. The Zenzanon lenses just pipped the Zeiss lenses for sharpness at this degree of this enlargement.

  3. #13
    Steve Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ryde, Isle of Wight
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8,589
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Then forget the Bronica ETR series and look at the SQ series. They are 6x6 and not much larger than an ETR-Si.
    This make me wonder why they didn't just make one camera with the option of 6x6 or 6x4.5 backs.

    Just the SQ and its lenses with the two types of back option would be ideal for me.

    Instead I have an ETRS and sometimes wish it was a SQ!


    Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

  4. #14
    lxdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Redlands, So. Calif.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,622
    The SQ series has 645 backs in 120 and 220, so that's certainly an option, if you can find them.
    The ETR was introduced Jan. 1976. The SQ came along in Oct. 1980, and was based on the ETR design. Maybe they were not originally planning to replace their EC series, but seeing the popularity of the ETR series, they decided to produce a Hasselblad style (leaf shutter, etc.,) 6x6. Just a thought.

    The SQ-Ai is about 5/8 inch longer and maybe 3/16 inch taller, but weighs (IIRC), about a half pound more than the ETR-Si. And the lenses and accessories are a little bit bigger and a little bit heavier. So it definitely has more 'presence' than the ETR-Si. Nothing unexpected-just a little more of everything.
    I suppose wedding photographers, who employed the ETR series extensively, appreciated the lighter weight and less bulk, plus more shots per roll, and accepted the trade-off of having to tilt the camera for verticals.

    Like you, I'm considering getting an SQ series machine and selling my ETR-Si's, as I have for the first time in my life gotten interested in the character of the square composition. Part of that is that the 4:3 ratio doesn't do a lot for me anyway: I prefer a larger ratio in rectangular.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

  5. #15
    Steve Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ryde, Isle of Wight
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8,589
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    The ETR was introduced Jan. 1976. The SQ came along in Oct. 1980, and was based on the ETR design.
    I didn't know that.

    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    The ETR was introduced Jan. 1976. The SQ came along in Oct. 1980, and was based on the ETR design.
    Put historically, it makes more sense. I suppose that if the SQ was first then there wouldn't have benn an ETRS.

    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I have for the first time in my life gotten interested in the character of the square composition.

    I like both the square composition and the waist level finder which is why I tend to use my Rolleicord a lot more now. I have recently sold my RB67 as I found I was not using it so with the money that brought in I might consider an SQ for times when I want a different angle of view from the Rolleicord's standard (and fixed) lens.



    Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 02-15-2011 at 05:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

  6. #16
    Klainmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Santa Fe, NM
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,493
    Images
    30
    To the OP: Have you considered a Mamiya Press system? I had a Mamiya press with a 6x7 back and a 6x9 back, plus two super sharp lenses for under $300 and kinda miss the thing. There's also 6x4.5 and 6x6 backs so theoretically, it's an all and all camera with great lenses. It is a lunker though.

    Also, I've used Voigtlander folders that blew my socks off. A Bessa RF or Bessa II with the skopar or heliar lens will produce incredible 6x9 negs and weigh less that 2.5lb total. Granted, lenses aren't interchangeable.

    Just some thoughts from a fellow landscaper.

  7. #17
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,798
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    The SQ series has 645 backs in 120 and 220, so that's certainly an option, if you can find them.
    The ETR was introduced Jan. 1976. The SQ came along in Oct. 1980, and was based on the ETR design. Maybe they were not originally planning to replace their EC series, but seeing the popularity of the ETR series, they decided to produce a Hasselblad style (leaf shutter, etc.,) 6x6. Just a thought.

    The SQ-Ai is about 5/8 inch longer and maybe 3/16 inch taller, but weighs (IIRC), about a half pound more than the ETR-Si. And the lenses and accessories are a little bit bigger and a little bit heavier. So it definitely has more 'presence' than the ETR-Si. Nothing unexpected-just a little more of everything.
    I suppose wedding photographers, who employed the ETR series extensively, appreciated the lighter weight and less bulk, plus more shots per roll, and accepted the trade-off of having to tilt the camera for verticals.

    Like you, I'm considering getting an SQ series machine and selling my ETR-Si's, as I have for the first time in my life gotten interested in the character of the square composition. Part of that is that the 4:3 ratio doesn't do a lot for me anyway: I prefer a larger ratio in rectangular.
    The Bronica SQ-B is worth a look, especially if you can find an intact kit with 80/2.8, WLF and 120 back. Otherwise assembling a kit can be dicey:WLFs are pricey, as are 120 backs; anything aside from the 80 and 150 can be tough to find in good shape at a decent price. Despite being dissed for its size, the Mamiya RB system is still arguably the most negative real estate for the buck.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    CA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    65
    Interesting, I did not know there was an SQ that was square format. Thats much more appealing to me....I may just have to sell this exakta and get the SQ

  9. #19
    wiltw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    SF Bay area
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    742
    Quote Originally Posted by kawasakiguy37 View Post
    Am I supposed to get stop down style metering with this camera? Right now the viewfinder dims as I move the aperture - shouldnt it just stop down right when I press the trigger only?
    With the Bronica??? The lenses are coupled with the meter electronically, so metering is designed to be done at wide open aperture.

  10. #20
    Steve Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ryde, Isle of Wight
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8,589
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by kawasakiguy37 View Post
    Interesting, I did not know there was an SQ that was square format. Thats much more appealing to me....I may just have to sell this exakta and get the SQ
    I think the SQ is supposed to stand for square (though I could be wrong!).


    Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin