Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,903   Online: 952

Shooter
    Multi Format

Can Film Be Exposed By Changing Lens on Hasselblad

I was working with my Hasselblad and I went to change the lens and forgot to put the darkslide in before I did. Would this have exposed my film? I've changed lens on my Minolta 35mm with film in it and it's always come out.

Sorry if this seems like a question with an obvious answer I just want to make sure because of a tight shooting schedule.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The darkslide is only needed when you're removing the back to replace it with another loaded back. The camera body has secondary shutter doors at its backside. These doors are synchronized with the shutter in the lens, so that they open just before the leaf shutter opens. The secondary shutter would be closed while changing lenses. The camera is sufficiently automated to prevent exposing the film until you're ready to do that.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't know about others, but when I used my Hasselblad I developed the habit of always reinserting the darkslide after making an exposure. First, that kept me from misplacing it, second, it kept me from accidentally tripping the shutter and wasting a frame (since I developed another habit of always winding the camera immediately after making an exposure), and third...well, I don't have a third reason except that it seemed like a good habit, and habits seem to help keep me from making mistakes in my process.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always wind my shutter immediately after it is tripped...sorta an auto response.

If you insert the DS after every frame you may prematurely wear out the light seal at that point.
    They are easy enough to replace but I thought I'd mention it.
    I store unloaded backs with the DS removed and the entire shebang in a ziplock to keep dust to a minimum.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    very funny

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Might check to make sure the secondary shutters are indeed fully closing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So long as your shutter curtains are closing completely after pressing the shutter release, you will be fine. Remove the film back and fire the shutter. You should see the curtains open and close completely, without any sluggishness or gapping.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, you can change lenses without the dark slide in, but always remember to only remove a lens with the camera and lens cocked!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin