Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,390   Online: 857

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go with the Yashica Mat 124,124g or one of the Mamiya C220/C330...still regret selling the C220 I had, it was sweet and I all but gave it away several years ago...sob!
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl
    Any opinions on this camera? I do not want to go the Holga route, and most of the other ones are pretty steep for my budget. This one seems pretty reasonable, but I am not familiar with MF or what to look for.
    Jeannete,

I have never ownerd a seagul TLR, but have used a 105 (I think) in the past. I must say that I was impressed with the camera, it handled very well, the self-cocking shutter and mechanical film advance (as opposed to the little red window on the back) felt very luxurious compared to the Lipca Flexora and Rollercord I had used before. The viewfinder was a lot brighter than either the rollei or flexora (both were very old), and the split image focusing aid helped as well.

Image-wise I was not disapointed. The lens was sharp at the apertures I used (I think f/4.5 and smaller), and the negs were very well exposed, so the shutter was good. Since I have never owned one, I cannot speak for it's durability.

Anyway, I just though that I'd give you a user's view on the Seagull. You can find used rolleis and the such for the same price (or cheaper), but figure in the price for a CLA (about 100 bucks for a rollei) and a new screen (can be had for 30) and see where you are at.

Good luck with your choice,

André

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Jeanette: Although I do a lot of 4x5, my C330f is my “standard” stand-by. When I made the decision to get back to med-format in the late ‘80s, I looked into all types, especially the Haselblad line. Way over budget for me then and now. So I looked into the Sea Gull. When I picked one up and shook it there were rattles everywhere indicating, to me, that things were not very precisely made. When I shook a Hassy or a Mamiya C330 – nothing! (Same with my Koni Omega kick-start Rapid)

I highly recommend looking around the Trade Show market for a good used whatever. I would use the following criteria: Need replaceable lenses? Need alternate backs? Close-up? Motor drive? Cost? Then make your decision.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Images

Try a Kiev!

Hello,

My first and only mf camera has been a Kiev 60 - bought from my camera repairman for $250 with a good 80mm lens, filters, lens cap, hot shoe, waist-level view finder and metering prism.

I didn't know anything about Kievs and had been looking at Mamiya's. I have had no problems with the Kiev except for weird film spacing when I have advanced my film in haste. I even inspired a Hasselblad user to purchase a Kiev! ("To knockabout with" she said.)

The optics are very good, lenses can be had cheaply (I've ebayed a few with no complaints) and if you treat the camera right, it should be good for years (I've had mine for 3 years with no problem.)

Low-budget but worth it, IMO. Give the Kiev a chance!!!!!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I want to mention the Minolta Autocord again. I made contact prints from my first roll (but still haven't enlarged the negatives as I am waiting for a med format enlarging lens) and flatbed scanned the 2 1/4" prints. Not that you can tell from the internet but I posted 4 photos to the 2nd Anniversary gallery. The negatives are sharp and have nice tones. These cameras can be had on ebay usually for under $100 in nice working condition.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin