Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,509   Online: 876

Shooter
    Medium Format

Rollei 6008AF Kit

Hi...

I've been looking at the options out there for autofocus medium format camera systems, and am considering getting the Rollei 6008AF. I found a kit that includes a Rollei Integral 6008AF, 6x6 120 magazine, Precision grip, NiCd battery, Neck strap, Rapid charger, and a 80mm AF-Xenotar PQ-S f/2.8 lens, all for $3,595. (brand new in shrinkwrap).

Does that sound "too good to be true"? I know B&H has 6008AF bodies for nearly that price, without lens, and it looks like from searching online that the lens alone should be worth at least $1500 new. (or maybe even $3k, again judging from B&H's price for just the PQ version).

I had been considering just going with the Mamiya 645 AFD-II + lens, but really like the idea of getting an AF system that can do 6x6, and apparently Rollei is it as far as that's concerned. I also considered the HY6, but it's a bit over budget for what I would use it for.

Also... regarding the whole battery situation... I happen to live very close to Fairfield, NJ, and would probably just visit the fine repairmen who deal with Rolleis in person if that's possible. What all is involved with modifying the battery on the 6008AF? Is it a modification to the battery, or to the compartment? I definitely don't want to be dealing with NiCD long term - I use Sanyo Eneloops in just about all my AA and AAA taking electronics at home, and they work spectacularly (especially in my Canon 580-EXII). I'm hoping I can get the pack replaced with those, or something similar, to maximize return on that upgrade (which appears to cost about $100).

Thanks for the help in advance!

--
    Guy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm very happy with mine, and batteries aren't a problem -there are several threads here on APUG regarding rebuilding packs when needed. My only suggestions are to check completed sales on EBay for an idea of pricing; if you are getting a warranty, confirm that it is via NJ (Sinar or Hensel?); and last, don't feel limited to AF lenses, the focus confirmation indicator can be very helpful with MF lenses and they all have good High-D screens for manual focusing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for those tips TimVermont - I was wondering if I would be limited to just the AF lenses. As much as I'd like an 80mm f/2.8 and 180mm f/2.8 AF combo, I don't think I'd be able to afford that right off the bat, so good to know there are other options!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guyjr View Post
    Also... regarding the whole battery situation... I happen to live very close to Fairfield, NJ, and would probably just visit the fine repairmen who deal with Rolleis in person if that's possible. What all is involved with modifying the battery on the 6008AF? Is it a modification to the battery, or to the compartment? I definitely don't want to be dealing with NiCD long term - I use Sanyo Eneloops in just about all my AA and AAA taking electronics at home, and they work spectacularly (especially in my Canon 580-EXII). I'm hoping I can get the pack replaced with those, or something similar, to maximize return on that upgrade (which appears to cost about $100).
    I doubt you could mod to use AA batteries. I just rebuilt my Rolleiflex SLX's battery pack. It takes 8 2/3A cells in series. I bought NiMH from batteriesinaflash.com and had my local Batteries Plus spot-weld them together and put in the pack. I then bought a POWEREX MH-C490F-DCW 9V NiMH smart charger from NewEgg, 9V battery connector with leads and alligator clips from Radio Shack to build a smart charger. It takes about 7 hours to get a full charge on the battery when it's completely drained. But, it sure lasts a lot longer between charges!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FYI: You can easily get the batteries upgraded by Rollei. It costs $90 and worth every penny. You don't even need a new charger or anything.

Contact Onick Voskinarian

Rollei & Hensel Service

1275 Bloomfield Ave. Building #8 Unit #68 Fairfield, NJ 07004

Business: +1 (973) 244-9662

Business Fax: +1 (973) 244-9817

Have a completely equipped worshop, and both used to work for Rollei USA and have decades of experience. They are not going anywhere any time soon.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin