Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,093   Online: 1025

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by film_man View Post
    Also, as far as adaptability is concerned, both the 645 and RB systems have pretty much an equal number of add ons and accessories.
    One difference between the systems (apart from negative size) which I can think of is the shutter.

The RB67 lenses have in built leaf shutters whereas the 645 has a focal plane shutter. This may be of some consideration if you intend to use flash a lot as the RB67 will synchronise at all speeds whereas the 645 will have a maximum sync. speed of 1/60 (I think).

There are leaf shutter lenses for the 645 but they are not standard. If you want high flash sync speeds and the 645 format then the Bronica ETRS system might also be worth considering as its lenses have built in leaf shutters.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    I know you were kind enough to refer me to a couple of places for price comparisons, but would you be able to give a quick opinion on whether or not you think that £250 would be value for money for a Mamiya 645 Pro TL with an 80mm Lens, Non-metered Prism and undoubtedly a film back.

Or are there some other things I should be looking for?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    £250 for such a system sounds reasonable. I would expect to pay that for one with just a waist level finder so having the prism finder instead is a bonus.

As a guide: http://www.ffordes.com/category/Medi...45/645_Cameras

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Steve,

I've started to hunt a little for a Bronica ETRS but the system seems to be a step up at least in terms of money.

But then, As I'm typing this I've just seen that there's one on ffordes for £199? with waist level viewfinder.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Don't blow your money on a Mamiya 645 or Bronica ETRs with a WLF--they're useless unless you shoot exclusively in landscape orientation. Price-wise, you might look outside the UK, too. If you get either 645 camera, budget for a winder grip--both are awkward handheld without them.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm a little overwhelmed with the amount of almost instant help I'm receiving! Thank you all so much!

I think this seems to becoming a Mamiya 645 Vs Bronica ETRS thread, which is fine by me. Does anyone have experience with both or insight into a comparison?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have an ETRS with waist level and prism finders and also the grip. Sometimes I fit the prism and the grip and use it at eye level and other times I take off the grip and fit the waist level finder. I like using it both ways but it really is a landscape format camera with the waist level finder.

I have only used a Mamiya 645 once and my personal thoughts were that I prefered it just slightly to the Bronica but I couldn't really tell you why!

If you let us know where you are, there might be someone near to you who could show you one or the other (or both!). Often these things come down to personal preference rather than which is better and the only way to know is to handle them.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A decent ETRS kit should set you back about £170-200 with prism and grip on ebay or about £250-300 in a shop. And I think Mamiyas are maybe a tiny bit more expensive than ETRS ones?

I have no hands-on experience with the Mamiya system but I think £250 is a good price if the equipment is in good condition. One difference between the Mamiya and ETRS is that the ETRS has leaf shutter lenses. If buying an ETRS, I'd rather spend £20-30 more to buy one of the newer PE lenses than the old ones, purely to have a bit of peace of mind with regards to the shutter. I owned 5 Bronica lenses in total over the last 2 years for ETRS and SQ systems, 2 of which had sticky shutters. It was not a coincidence that they were the oldest of the lot.

As said, a 645 camera with just the waist level finder is a bit useless (unless you are only interested in landscape orientation) so if a prism is not with the kit, price that in as well.

The advice about trying them is very good. The Mamiya vs ETRS feel quite different in the hand, especially with the power grip on.
    Last edited by film_man; 02-17-2011 at 09:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Have/had Mamiya RB, Rollei 6003, Hasselblad, Nikonos, Canon EOS, Leica R, Fuji Instax...and some other stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't know if this sheds any more light but a Mamiya TL kit with winder and prism is on for £500 on Mifsuds. And their prices are generally good on used stuff.
    Have/had Mamiya RB, Rollei 6003, Hasselblad, Nikonos, Canon EOS, Leica R, Fuji Instax...and some other stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One thing to keep in mind is that while we discuss relative "quality" of build of the camera and resulting negatives to death, all medium format cameras are professional level equipment that originally cost thousands of dollars. They all do fine job in most applications.

I have a Mamiya 645Pro. To me, portability is a big issue. Mamiya M645 series is fairly light and small especially without the motor winder.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin