Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,765   Posts: 1,516,380   Online: 1023

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The RB67 was my first MF camera and I love it. It is heavy and loud, its only real drawbacks. If you want quiet and light I say a 6x6 TLR is the way to go instead. I carry mine around using the flash bracket/left-hand-grip and a neck strap and it is quite usable this way but you do need to be strong to carry it for long periods; if you aren't strong before you buy the RB67, you will be...

Do you like a rectangular aspect ratio? 6x4.5 is even wider than 36x24 (effectively 6x4) while the RB67 is closer to square at 6x7. I find it much easier to print the big negatives from my RB67 to standard 8x10 and 11x14 paper than 35mm which I'm always having to either crop or cut the paper to fit. The 6x7 size is really like 4 35mm frames so it is a ton of area and really looks good when enlarged, great sharpness and less grain.

If you do much shooting in portrait orientation the I say go fo the RB67 as the landscape oriented 6x4.5 cameras are a pain in portait orientation and you need to crop and enlarge a lot if you get lazy and just shoot portraits in landscape, then it ends up being little bigger than 36mm. The rotating back on the RB67 is really convenient.

As mentioned, for studio flash you can sync up to 1/400th with all RB67 lenses due to the leaf shutter on all lenses, very useful.

The Polaroid back gives you 7.3x7.6mm which is much better than 6x45. You can also get a pack film adapter and use 3.25x4.25 sheet film in the same manner as the 3.25x4.25 Polaroids. In this way it is very versatile when you want to check lighting, shoot to single sheets, etc.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    I think portability will be a big aspect for me, I think the strongest piece of advice provided so far is that the prism viewfinder is definitely the way to go.

Im based in Hampshire so if anyone owns either of the cameras I'd love to be able to hold them and try them out for a bit. Even just seeing one with my own eyes will be very helpful.

Finding this forum has been a revelation!

I'm just going to start trawling eBay for some examples of an ETRS. The 645 is as I said before 250 with a prism viewfinder.

Its really funny that I've never even looked at three websites that have been mentioned on here today, ffordes, mifsuds and keh (from a different thread). I feel like I'm dipping my toe in an ocean!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    6x4.5 is even wider than 36x24 (effectively 6x4) while the RB67 is closer to square at 6x7.
    The ratios are:
    6x6 = 1:1 (obviously)
    6x7 = 1.17:1
    6x4.5 = 1.33:1
    6x8 = 1.33:1
    Standard TV/computer monitor = 1.33:1
    135/35mm (36x24mm) = 1.5:1
    6x9 = 1.5:1
    HDTV = 1.7:1
    XPan (65x24mm) = 2.7:1

So 645 is more "square" than 35mm film.
    Hasselblad 501CM, 60CB, 80CB, 160CB
    Mamiya RB67SD, 65KL, 90KL, 127KL
    Nikonos V, 35
    EOS 3, 40/2SL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by QuinnRobot View Post
    I think portability will be a big aspect for me, I think the strongest piece of advice provided so far is that the prism viewfinder is definitely the way to go.
    I don't know if I'd eliminate WLF as potential candidate that fast. I'd say that's a matter of personal preference.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have all three systems you have mentioned...RB67, M645100s and a Bronica ETRS. If you want portability then either the M645 or the ETRS are the way to go. If you think you will shoot more in an indoor type environment then the RB67 may be the way to go.
    All three systems are very high quality professional level gear. I have actually been using my ETRS more than my M645 because I have a complete system where my M645 I have the body and three lenses. I have done my own image comparisons between the two 645 cameras and "I" can't distinguish one from the other.
    The ETRS has removable backs but that also means it has a dark slide that can be lost or cause you to miss a shot if you forget to remove it before you press the shutter release.

The RB67 has such beautiful negatives...you have three get choices!
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm definitely not ruling out the WLF! With only my basic knowledge of the field I would dare rule anything out!

I've used a WLF on a friends tlr and found it pretty incredible so I'd certainly be thinking about using one, but for the general ease of changing from portrait to landscape I do really like the idea of the prism. Plus it'll help me make the change from 35mm a little less pronounced.

Has anybody ever vouch their setup piece by piece from the very start, looking on eBay it seems that the best way to get a good deal on and ETRS would be to buy each part separately?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are patient, you can buy a nice kit right here on APUG. Classified section usually have one or two MF kit for sale probably every week. KEH also has 'em and they provide return privilege and warranties. If you are new to this type of gear, I'm less inclined to suggest buying piece-by-piece. Compatibility issues between different models within the same camera family can be daunting.

One very nice thing about WLF is that when you compose, you are looking at how your end result will look right in the view finder. While prism is basically the same thing, it's more like looking at a window. I tend to spot more compositional issues when using WLF. That said, I have a metering prism on my M645.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As someone who has sold quite a bit of camera kit on ebay over that last few years, I have found that the general rule is selling separately makes you more money than all as one kit. So buying separately would be...

PS
    And if you buy separately you have to pay postage for each item. Which is a minimum of 4 parts on an ETRS (lens, body, finder, back).
    Hasselblad 501CM, 60CB, 80CB, 160CB
    Mamiya RB67SD, 65KL, 90KL, 127KL
    Nikonos V, 35
    EOS 3, 40/2SL

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by QuinnRobot View Post
    Im based in Hampshire so if anyone owns either of the cameras I'd love to be able to hold them and try them out for a bit. Even just seeing one with my own eyes will be very helpful.
    If you want to take a boat trip to the Isle of Wight, I can show you my Bronica ETRS and my father's Mamiya 645 (not sure which model).

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a TLR and the RB67. Love them both! I like the RB67 even though it is big and heavy which doesn't bother me. I'll go with RB67 because of the bigger negative.

Jeff

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin