Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,955   Online: 710

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Mamiya RB67 Vs Mamiya 645 Pro TL

Excuse me for being a complete medium format novice here and asking what is no doubt a straight forward base knowledge question, but I am looking to get a medium format camera and have settled on the RB67 or 645 series Mamiyas.

But I can't seem to find a comparison of the two anywhere to make things clearer for me.

Whilst I'm new to medium format im definitely no novice to photography in general so I would like this camera to be an upgrade from 35mm rather than just an entry level MF.

I've been offered a 645 TL For £250, is that a good deal or should I hold out and try to go for a RB67 range, or better value 645 range??

Please help!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

The RB67 has almost twice the negative area of the 645 but it is also bigger and heavier. I like hand holding mine but others would only consider using it on a tripod.

The 645 is lighter and easier to carry but has a smaller negative area. It gets 15 (or is it 16) shots to a roll of 120 compared to only ten with the RB67.

They will probably both cost about the same and either would be a step up from quality compared to 35mm so really it's down to their individual features and your personal preferences to mke the decision.

have a look at this thread for some related discussion: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum51/8...t-vs-35mm.html

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    That's excellent, it's information I hadn't even thought that I'd need. I've been spoilt by having a standard 24/36 exposure to a film with 35mm.

What are the dimensions with the two negative sizes?

Shooter
    35mm
    This should help with the sizes of the negatives:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/120_film#Frame_sizes
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Being that my first name is also Steve. I'm really appreciating the help with this thread!

Are the two ranges completely separate. Or is one universally thought to be superior.

To use a car analogy are we comparing a Ford Mondeo with a Ford Focus?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh yes.... Welcome to APUG.

I assume you are in the U.K. as you are quoting prices in £.

Have a look at Ffordes website to get a feel for prices of medium format equipment.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by QuinnRobot View Post
    To use a car analogy are we comparing a Ford Mondeo with a Ford Focus?
    Both negative sizes have quality systems built around them but then also there are lower quality options too (such as Holga for 6x6). So I think it's accurate to say there's a full range of choices. Some systems are more 'complete' than others, for example I have a Bronica RF645 which has a very limited number of lenses (4) compared to other systems. I suppose I depends upon what you want to shoot and how you plan to produce your photos (darkroom prints, scans, web only, etc). Personally, I think 645 is overkill for much of what I do.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To use a car analogy, you are comparing a Focus to a Land Rover Defender. Different things for different purposes so you cannot really compare them. Both cars use petrol and get you from A to B but that's about it. Same with the cameras, both take the same size film and shoot photographs but that's about it.

And to elaborate a bit more:

The 645 vs the RB is:
    Lighter
    Smaller
    Has faster lenses (e.g. you can get a 150/2.8, the fastest tele for the RB is f/4.5) so you can get higher shutter speeds (however note that due to film size a f/4.5 6x7 lens has roughly the same DOF as a 645 f/2.8 lens which has roughly the same DOF as a 35mm f/1.8 lens)
    Has the 80/1.9 which is the fastest MF lens available (I think)
    Gets you more shots per roll
    Can be used as bigger 35mm SLR

The RB vs the 645 is:
    Heavier
    Bigger
    Slower to operate
    Focuses very close
    Can be used with a waist level finder due to the revolving back (the 645 may be used with a waist level finder but how do you shoot in portrait orientation...?)
    Has more resolution due to the film size
    Can have 6x6 and 645 backs

So basically, it is very possible that somebody will own both systems and use one or the other depending on what is to be achieved. I know, not much help...
    Mamiya RB, Rollei 6003, Hasselblad, Nikonos, Canon EOS, Leica R, Fuji Instax...and some other stuff

Shooter
    35mm
    You might think that wasn't much help but believe me it'll probably end up invaluable!

I think I'm edging towards the 645 system. It seems there's just that little more adaptability to it over the 6x7 system.

Or I've got lost along the way already!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can I just add another comment, if you shoot 35mm then a 645 system with a grip will be just like a bigger 35mm camera to you minus some automation. The image quality is an "upgrade" too.

An RB/RZ or something else like a Bronica SQB will be a completely different experience.

Start by thinking what it is you want to do with the new camera you will buy. This will eventually dictate what system you need.

Also, as far as adaptability is concerned, both the 645 and RB systems have pretty much an equal number of add ons and accessories.
    Mamiya RB, Rollei 6003, Hasselblad, Nikonos, Canon EOS, Leica R, Fuji Instax...and some other stuff

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin