Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,582,986   Online: 1076

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Self timer on Hassy 500 C/M

This may be a silly question, but it concerns the use of the self timer on the Hasselblad 500 C/M. I've just processed a roll of film in which I had used the self timer on several frames, and the self-timed shots are all blank. Each time I slide the VXM switch to V. Also, I know the O/T lever should be on "O". Also, I probably used the pre-release each time, and I definitely had a cable release attached every time. Why are the frames blank? Is it because the cable release is attached? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Kevin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Obviously, you have the older Compur Shutter - Hoo... "M" synchronization for class "M" flash bulbs... and the "V" self-timer.

Remove the back and observe what happens. It sounds like you are pressing the cable release, or the body "pre-release" - the two "shades" immediately in front of the film plane open, and the mirror flips up and out of the way.
    Those "shades" will stay out of the optical path only while the pressure is maintained on the shutter release.

Try setting the shutter to 1 second. With the back off, observe what happens when you depress the shutter release and hold it for a couple of seconds. Then rewind and "jab" the release quickly... It is easy to cause these two shades to close prematurely... resulting in an exposure much shorter than 1 second.

I think that is what must be happening with the self-timer - the "shades" close before the shutter fires.

Check you camera. There should be a little lever at the shutter release button. Normally, this lever is left vertical - no effect. When rotated "outward" and the shutter is tripped, it will keep the "shades" open until it is returned to its vertical position.

I hope this makes sense ... I've re-read this a bunch of times ... It's a whole lot easier to do and show than it is to write about it.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for that bit of info Ed. I have been using the self timer recently and the way I get around the back flaps is to have my cable release lock when I press down. This way the flaps stay open until I unlock it. The lock has on occasion 'unlocked' and I end up with a blank frame.
    RL Foley

When I self time this is the sequence: 1, Set to V. 2,Set O/T lever to T. 3, Lock mirror in up position. 4 Trip shutter without a cable release. 5, Set O/T lever to O. 6, Advance/Cock shutter. The self tmer does not seem to want to work with a cable release on the camera . Hope this works, Ken

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm lost. All my Hasseblad lenses are CF*Ts and have Prontor shutters - no "MXV" settings - or a lever marked "O/T".

The definitve method to check for operation is to remove the magazine and watch what is happening.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Try setting the vxm to "V" and the lever behind the release to "T" then manually release the shutter button and sit back and wait. At least on the 500C the back shutter will open and after the appropriate delay the shutter will fire. The back shutter will close when you return the lever to "O" (behind the shutter button. This works without the use of a cable release.
    John Harvey
    Colorado Springs, CO
    harveyje@usa.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks all for your help. I'll try those things and see how it goes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kevin, do you not have the instruction manual?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I do have a photocopy of the instruction manual, and I checked it after I posted my question, but it doesn't clearly tell you what procedure to follow. With the magazine removed I followed the steps you guys suggested and everything seemed to work fine, so thanks once again for your help. Next step is to try to use it with film inside.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin