Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,928   Posts: 1,556,829   Online: 860

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    My 35mm strip contact printing frame has a piece of felt on the backing board to push the paper up to the film. A piece of foam would work too.

Steve.
    I've found a site that shows how to make one...but it's nothing like what I've ever used. The ones in college were metal - and a hinged lid that held down the negatives. I'll experiment a little more this evening. I'll try the felt, though, as part of the sandwich.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning...It smells like...PHOTOGRAPHY!

The photo blog has moved...
    I Love Film : by Susan McNutt, the mad photographer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pinhole_dreamer View Post
    It would be great and work wonderfully...if my floors were even. lol! I ended up making the contact print sandwich doing the same thing but using an old book for my flat/even surface and an LED flashlight with a t-shirt wrapped around it to soften the light. *sigh* I need to find a spot in the laundry room or bathroom that's got an even floor. This house was built in the '20s and hasn't settled evenly.

I finally got the process to work with a few test strips (and mumbling). I'm sure that I can find a better room to use, though.
    You don't need a flat/even floor - that's what the bottom piece of glass is for.

Why do you put the sandwich on the floor? Because it makes it easier to hold the light source far enough away to ensure even light and reasonable exposures.

Adding foam to the sandwich is great, if you have even, flat foam.

I repeat (merely for emphasis) - the reason for the glass on the bottom and the top of the sandwich is that it isn't particularly hard to find two pieces of flat glass.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But it's hard to find a spot in my house where things don't end up against the north wall. :/ I may just try setting everything in front of the door...that way it won't slide away from me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've not heard too many fowls, lately. Most of the birds are frightened off by either the owls or the hawks that are in the neighborhood.
    That would put me in a fowl mood.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    127 Format
    ...Since the top of my washing machine doesn't sit even, I then put the paper on top of a rather heavy book (an old hard bound that will end up in the Goodwill pile), the paper on top of that, the negative and then the double glass...
    For best results, ensure washing machine is not running at the time...
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since no image is being projected by the light in a contact print, a running washing machine would not necessarily preclude good contact sheets.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Since no image is being projected by the light in a contact print, a running washing machine would not necessarily preclude good contact sheets.
    No, but have you ever had to clean up glass after it's jumped off something, which it has a good chance of doing with a washing machine thats out of balance just a tiny bit.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    127 Format
    I was just thinking the vortex of the spin cycle might result in some interesting Bokeh !!
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No...I don't even attempt at contact printing when the washing machine is running! (Or if I do, I just put everything on top of the dryer.)

Here's my second attempt at contact printing with the negative sandwich, minus the felt.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5217/...eb14b0da_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5256/...98a18aeb_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5013/...3fbc9f09_z.jpg

Those were taken with my Duaflex II.

Like I told a friend of mine who made fun of the old camera, "it's hip to be square!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin