Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,481   Posts: 1,542,704   Online: 950

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

19th Nervous Breakdown

I'm still in the process of trying to make contact prints with no enlarger. It's a bit of a pain in the...well...backside.

I did get the roll scanned - making my scanner think it was 35mm film, NOT 127. I tried everything I could think of after the contact printing wasn't working so well. (I'm not done trying other things out when I go back downstairs to do some laundry, I'll set up the chem trays again and try out some different ways to set up the light, ect.)

In the meantime, have a look-see at some folks protesting outside the IL Supreme Court building :

I never bothered to figure out just exactly WHAT was being protested as I was more interested in finding myself some lunch - and I had a date with my husband that day.

*edit*

I'm going to try setting the negatives on the paper - and both of those on something FLAT as it seems the washer lid is a bit curved and holding the light higher over the paper. Maybe I'll get something to look at this time...instead of some really spooky freaky chemical stains on the paper over the contact print.

*edit*

In lieu of fowl language, the phrase "OH GUY FAWKES DAY IT!" comes to mind.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning...It smells like...PHOTOGRAPHY!

The photo blog has moved...
    I Love Film : by Susan McNutt, the mad photographer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Disassemble a picture frame and try setting the glass over top to mash it down flat.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Or, duh, frame the negs on the paper inside the frame behind the glass.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Printfile makes these very handy negative files that also have a slot for a contact sheet. I don't store my negs and proofs together as Printfile intended with this product, but its real benefit IMO is that you can slide a piece of unexposed paper into the slot intended for the proofsheet. It will be perfectly aligned with your negative strips, and held fairly flush to the negs. All you have to do is put it in a proofer or underneath a double-thick sheet of glass (with rounded and/or taped edges) and you get sharp and perfectly aligned proofsheets very quickly every time.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Christopher, I did finally take apart two picture frames and tape the edges. Since the top of my washing machine doesn't sit even, I then put the paper on top of a rather heavy book (an old hard bound that will end up in the Goodwill pile), the paper on top of that, the negative and then the double glass. After all that work (ha ha), I found that if I wrapped my LED flashlight in a t-shirt to soften the light a bit and used a 3-4 second exposure, I was doing 'okay'. I still have one that's a bit too dark but there's always tomorrow to try again.

2F/2F : Those sound like a rather good idea - and then stick all that under the glass. Depending on which room in the basement, I may or may not still need the book for the bottom layer of the open faced photographic sandwich.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try this:

1) take sheet of glass and tape black paper to it;
    2) put photographic paper on top (emulsion side up);
    3) put negatives on top;
    4) put second (heavier) glass on top of that - you have a contact print sandwich!;
    5) put on flat surface (the floor is great);
    6) suspend your light source a few feet above it.

Squeezing the paper and negative between two hard, flat surfaces helps ensure good contact.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It would be great and work wonderfully...if my floors were even. lol! I ended up making the contact print sandwich doing the same thing but using an old book for my flat/even surface and an LED flashlight with a t-shirt wrapped around it to soften the light. *sigh* I need to find a spot in the laundry room or bathroom that's got an even floor. This house was built in the '20s and hasn't settled evenly.

I finally got the process to work with a few test strips (and mumbling). I'm sure that I can find a better room to use, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pinhole_dreamer View Post

In lieu of fowl language,
    I hear fowl language all the time. I've got birds nesting in my trees and they squawk and sing constantly.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Squeezing the paper and negative between two hard, flat surfaces helps ensure good contact.
    My 35mm strip contact printing frame has a piece of felt on the backing board to push the paper up to the film. A piece of foam would work too.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I hear fowl language all the time. I've got birds nesting in my trees and they squawk and sing constantly.
    I've not heard too many fowls, lately. Most of the birds are frightened off by either the owls or the hawks that are in the neighborhood.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin