Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,569   Posts: 1,545,463   Online: 1128

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hatton View Post
    Hi Ian,
    I'm in the Uk a the moment. I've had a look at ND filters and they are EXTORTIONATE! Pan F may do it for me if I use it early morning or early evening. What about development? Is prescysol OK for that film? I had a look at the welding glass mentioned by Paul (many thanks Paul) but I think I'd need a ampere conversion chart
    Prescysol or Pyrocat HD will be fine.

Look for the Coking ND filters, or try SRB Griturn.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PanF+ (rated @ 25), Perceptol, and ND filters.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You can try using a slow IR film like IR820 with an R72 filter, which will give you EI1 in Sunny-16 light (that's a 2s exposure at f/22 in the noonday sun!) and probably slower still with clouds.

Edit: you can also use a slow film like Adox CHS25 (Efke-25) at EI16, slap on a Red-25 for about 3.5 stops and then a CPL for 1.5 more stops, which gives you about EI0.5, or 4s at f/22 in full sun, probably more like 8s with reciprocity failure. Much, much longer under clouds.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mickster View Post
    Not sure why you don't want to use ND filters if they would give you the times you're after. You can get them cheap from 7dayshop.com if yr in the UK.

Otherwise, in addition to using slow film and small apertures as suggested above, use reciprocity failure to your advantage. Pick a film with poor reciprocity characteristics (Ilford's FP4 or Delta 100 for instance), and these will help you get longer times. Steer clear of Fuji Neopan 100.
    Hi,
    The reason I don't want to use ND filters is twofold. firstly there is the cost, which can be phenominal! Second, I don't like the idea of putting a piece of glass/plastic in front of a good lens.
    I use fp4 as my standard film but I'm advised by others to use panf - a much slower film. What to do, what to do?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Prescysol or Pyrocat HD will be fine.

Ian
    Thanks Ian. I looked at several posts here and other places on the internet and it seems that panf can be really fussy and grainy. Any thoughts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hatton View Post
    Thanks Ian. I looked at several posts here and other places on the internet and it seems that panf can be really fussy and grainy. Any thoughts?
    Pan F can never be grainy it's too inherently fine grained, but if you drop the box speed and compensate bu cutting the dev time then it's easy to control the contrast.

I've 6 rolls sat ready for testing but until I use them I can't really recommend a dev time. Delta 100 is another good choice but a stop faster.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The last time I used PanF+, I rated it at E.I.25 and developed in D76 @ 1+3 - In 120, grain was difficult to see. I would suggest getting a couple of rolls and trying it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Pan-F is not grainy. It is the antithesis of grainy. I mean, it is a film and it has grain, but it's very fine and certainly finer than FP4. I've got prints from Pan-F that are about 30" on a side from 6x7 (enlargement of 11x) and you can barely see the grain on close inspection. Acros has similarly fine, low-contrast grain but it's about 1.5 stops faster.

Pan-F is by default quite contrasty but everyone here is suggesting you pull it a stop, which will mean you get fairly normal contrast.

You need to give up on your choice of film or your refusal to use filters or both. One way or another, if you want a long exposure, you need to reduce the amount of light getting into the camera and reduce the film's sensitivity to that light. You can get perfectly good filters in the $25-50 range that will not harm your image quality (you will not be able to tell the difference in a blind comparison) except in cases of extreme dynamic range where they can cause flare. By using an older style emulsion, you can also take advantage of reciprocity failure; Pan-F does it to an extent but the Adox films are much more dramatic.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    You need to give up on your choice of film or your refusal to use filters or both. One way or another, if you want a long exposure, you need to reduce the amount of light getting into the camera and reduce the film's sensitivity to that light. You can get perfectly good filters in the $25-50 range that will not harm your image quality (you will not be able to tell the difference in a blind comparison) except in cases of extreme dynamic range where they can cause flare. By using an older style emulsion, you can also take advantage of reciprocity failure; Pan-F does it to an extent but the Adox films are much more dramatic.
    Thanks for your reply and thanks to everyone who responded. I think you're right. I've found some cheap ND filters at the websites suggested and I'm going to run a few rolls of PanF through the camera and see what happens.
    Cheers All
    David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could also consider a Polarizer or red #25 filter and I seriously doubt you will suffer any image degradation.

I saw a guy on the web (from Eastern Europe I think) that would do daytime long exposures from a tripod and then would pick up the tripod for movement toward the end of the exposure. He achieved brilliant abstract architecture/street scenes with a mix of sharp elements & movement/blur.

Does anyone remember who I'm referring to? There was a short vid on the web showing him work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin