Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,257   Online: 736

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Hello and Daytime long exposures black and white

Hello all,
    I'm a long time lurker from the U.K. and West Turkey so, hi.
    I have just acquired a pentax 67ii and I love it! I was wondering what a typical set up would be for long exposures - during the day. I would be obliged for any help.
    I have a sturdy tripod, cable releases etc but was wondering about the camera set-up really for this type of exposure.
    Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    you would need a strong neutral density filter would help. and small apertures.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry , I should have mentioned that I use FP4+ film, developer is prescysol ef and I don't want to use nd filters

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Pin hole and/or one of these --> Welding Glass, but that has the same effect as an ND filter..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As mention before, use small apertures. You could look into some B&W filters, yellow, orange,red, etc.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Daytime long exposure is an oxymoron here in Turkey It's relatively easy in the UK

Turkey it'd either be an ND filter or Pan F in Perceptol - because that's a developer that needs reduced film speed, FP4 is Sunny 16 + a bit. As you know I work hand held 1/125th @f22 with Delta 100 and that's with 5x4, a Pentax 67 lens is probably better at f16.

I do have a Notion . . . . . . . . . . negative/print that was a 30 second exposure, you saw me take it It means working first light or dusk, or an ND filter.

UK then there's no issues getting film, so Pan F & 25 EI will mean longer exposures are easy, but I never find it an issue with 100 ISO emulsions, except the handful of really good summer days.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Ian,
    I'm in the Uk a the moment. I've had a look at ND filters and they are EXTORTIONATE! Pan F may do it for me if I use it early morning or early evening. What about development? Is prescysol OK for that film? I had a look at the welding glass mentioned by Paul (many thanks Paul) but I think I'd need a ampere conversion chart

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Use a 10 stop ND filter such as the Lee Big Stopper or the B+W version. There are apps that allow you to calculate the exposure too if you want quick and easy exposure info. Just meter normally, add the filter, adjust exposure and away you go. Very simple actually.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not sure why you don't want to use ND filters if they would give you the times you're after. You can get them cheap from 7dayshop.com if yr in the UK.

Otherwise, in addition to using slow film and small apertures as suggested above, use reciprocity failure to your advantage. Pick a film with poor reciprocity characteristics (Ilford's FP4 or Delta 100 for instance), and these will help you get longer times. Steer clear of Fuji Neopan 100.
    Last edited by mickster; 02-20-2011 at 01:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    mirror lock up -- to reduce vibration
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin