Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,227   Posts: 1,532,689   Online: 832

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    I used the 120 spool as an intermediate method on my only attempt and it worked well. I had only a very minor bump in the taped end and didn't bother to re-do it. Ran Delta 100 through my Brownie Target Six-20!

Maybe the answers weren't complete on using the intermediate spooling .... You have to keep the front end the front end after the respooling because the trailing end isn't taped to the backing. And also, the numbers on the backing will be out of kilter if you try to wind directly on to a 620 spool from the original 120 (you would be trying to start from frame 8/12/16, and the rows of numbers could be offset the wrong way for the red window in the camera back).
    Thanks for the information. I think I'll give it a shot when I get a chance, if I screw it up then I'm only out the cost of a roll of 120 film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i used to have a yashicamat124g and i was into double exposing, but i had to respool onto the same 120 roll.
    it was kind of like what you are trying to do with the 620 ... the only stumbling block is tension and getting the film tight
    when you go backwards .. then retaping .. it takes a few mins to learn the technique but after that it is a piece of cake ..
    even when it is like 10pm and you are in an empty parking lot with your hands in a changing bag, answering questions from the police
    after the first few times it becomes second nature ..

good luck !
    john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Putting it on a 120 spool first simply makes it easier to respool. It seems like it would make the whole thing more complicated, but it makes it easier.

I use a Rolleiflex TLR to quickly unspool. Just pass it ABOVE -- not through -- the rollers and crank until you reach the end. Only takes about 30 seconds or so to transfer an entire roll.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have respooled 120 film to a 620 film spool, but it is best to first transfer the 120 film to a 620 spool and then back to another 620 spool. The 620 spool has a smaller diameter core than the 120 size spool. It is easier to get the film wound tight on the 620 spool and if you are lucky you do not have to retape the film to the paper backing. Always keep the two spools of film close to each other to prevent a mismatch in the film and its paper backing which causes a buckle in the film or backing. If you get a buckle in the film or paper backing carefully untape the paper backing and retape .Good Luck!, gordon g

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have always just rolled it out into my hand abd then respooled onto the 620 spool. The trick, as always, is keeping the film aligned with the paper. Off by a fraction of a mm can throw a wrench into the whole works. But it's not at all as difficult as it might seem on the never-having-tried-before end of things.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    Putting it on a 120 spool first simply makes it easier to respool. It seems like it would make the whole thing more complicated, but it makes it easier.

I use a Rolleiflex TLR to quickly unspool. Just pass it ABOVE -- not through -- the rollers and crank until you reach the end. Only takes about 30 seconds or so to transfer an entire roll.
    A Mamiya C series TLR would work perfectly for this - the straight film path is ideal!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i used to have a yashicamat124g and i was into double exposing, but i had to respool onto the same 120 roll.
    it was kind of like what you are trying to do with the 620 ... the only stumbling block is tension and getting the film tight
    when you go backwards .. then retaping .. it takes a few mins to learn the technique but after that it is a piece of cake ..
    even when it is like 10pm and you are in an empty parking lot with your hands in a changing bag, answering questions from the police
    after the first few times it becomes second nature ..

good luck !
    john
    Thats why I love the Yashica D, just recock the shutter and shoot again.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you have several 620 spools then spool it onto a 620 rather than a 120 first. That gets you closer to the desired roll diameter so the tape is less likely to heed adjusting.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pinhole_dreamer View Post
    I just shot a roll of 120 in my Duaflex. I took a pair of fingernail clippers and trimmed down the edge of the roll. It was still a bit of a tight fit but worked great. Once you get to the last frame, you'll find it's sort of hard to forward the film (or it might just be my camera). I've not tried re-spooling film from one spool to another quite yet. Maybe. I know I'll have enough backing paper to do it soon enough.

Good luck with your venture of re-spooling.
    One more vote for fingernail clippers. It doesn't work with every camera, but with my Brownie Bullseye it works like a charm. I do need to use a genuine 620 takeup spool, but a 120 roll trimmed works great. Saves tons of time over respooling.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I practiced with a sacrificial roll before heading for the changing bag. First step is to roll from the 120 to a 620. Second step is roll it back from the 620 to another 620 so it is the correct direction again. The trick is to keep tight but not two tight or too loose. If spool is to tight you will have to reposition the tape, if too loose then light leak. As the roll tends to be a bit looser then factory I store all the re-rolls in a light tight bag until time to use. I tried the clipping method but the spools never rolled correctly and would get jammed. Also they tended to leak around the edges. I picked up a lot of 20 at auction which I haven't regretted.
    Chris Saganich
    http://www.imagebrooklyn.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin