Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,075   Online: 965

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm RF
    All advise here are good!
    But first: STAY COOL IT 'S EASY TO DO!!!
    Like you I descovered MF quite recently and was lost... :-)
    But respooling is really easy. My first try and succes was done seated in the dark on the toilet (darkest place in teh house, and be seated is quit comfortable), with film, 2 empty spools (620) and my hands in my darkest jacket used as changing bags (hands passing reverse by the sleeves). It took me less than 5 minutes, it was so fast that I was sure to have made someting wrong ;-)
    Next time same condition, less than 2 minutes. And now with a changing bag, it's a little bit faster but I don't have to lock me in the dark :-)
    So enjoy shooting with your old camera!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen View Post
    One more vote for fingernail clippers. It doesn't work with every camera, but with my Brownie Bullseye it works like a charm. I do need to use a genuine 620 takeup spool, but a 120 roll trimmed works great. Saves tons of time over respooling.
    And another vote for fingernail clippers. Works like a charm on my Brownie Hawkeye Flash.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Medalist on the way, and a Monitor I haven't had time to test out yet. Is there any reason why this doesn't work:

1) Put the 120 film in a Graflex (or other) roll back, take up onto a 620 or 120 spool.
    2)Take the reversed roll, and run it thru the rollback again, onto a 620 spool.

Presto! No dark room, changing bag, tension issue, etc. Please tell me if I'm missing something, I must be, right?

--nosmok

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One problem with running 120 spools in a 620 camera, the drive tabs on the 620 are smaller than 120 and could strip out or slip.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nosmok View Post
    I have a Medalist on the way, and a Monitor I haven't had time to test out yet. Is there any reason why this doesn't work:

1) Put the 120 film in a Graflex (or other) roll back, take up onto a 620 or 120 spool.
    2)Take the reversed roll, and run it thru the rollback again, onto a 620 spool.

Presto! No dark room, changing bag, tension issue, etc. Please tell me if I'm missing something, I must be, right?

--nosmok
    The likely problem is that the trailing (last frame) end of the film is not taped to the backing paper and might go astray trying to feed from that direction.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks again everyone for the replies, I think I've gotten some great tips from various users and will dive into it whenever I can afford some film.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin