Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,505   Posts: 1,543,479   Online: 995

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Respooling 620 to 120

I've been getting the itch lately to try out medium format. I've only shot 35mm before. I have a beautiful Rolleicord that takes 120 film but unfortunately the shutter blades are stuck and I don't have the money to fix it. I have a Kodak Duafflex II camera that takes 620 and I've read that you can respool 120 onto 620 rolls. Just wondering the difficulty level of this for someone who has never done it before. It seems fairly straightforward. Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is straightforward. Just keep in mind that you need to reposition the tape at the leading edge when you respool on the the 620 core. At least I've always had to reposition the tape. I find it a bit of a pain to do for just 1 roll, but I don't mind doing 3-4 at a time.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just shot a roll of 120 in my Duaflex. I took a pair of fingernail clippers and trimmed down the edge of the roll. It was still a bit of a tight fit but worked great. Once you get to the last frame, you'll find it's sort of hard to forward the film (or it might just be my camera). I've not tried re-spooling film from one spool to another quite yet. Maybe. I know I'll have enough backing paper to do it soon enough.

Good luck with your venture of re-spooling.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning...It smells like...PHOTOGRAPHY!

The photo blog has moved...
    I Love Film : by Susan McNutt, the mad photographer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    http://www.brownie-camera.com/respool/respool.shtml
    I used these directions. Really quite easy to do. Just don't rush it.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
    http://www.brownie-camera.com/respool/respool.shtml
    I used these directions. Really quite easy to do. Just don't rush it.
    When I have done it, I first respooled the 120 tightly on a 120 spool, and then on a 620 spool. I think this method is safer for a beginner.
    J. Patric Dahlén

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with you JPD, even after many rolls respooled, I find it best to roll film onto an empty 120 spool first. It is much easier to control the tension of the film that way, and fewer headaches, not to mention less chance of unwanted fingerprints and dirt getting on it.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JPD View Post
    When I have done it, I first respooled the 120 tightly on a 120 spool, and then on a 620 spool. I think this method is safer for a beginner.
    Hope I'm not asking a really stupid question here, but what's the point on respooling it onto another 120 roll and then the 620?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronmichael View Post
    Hope I'm not asking a really stupid question here, but what's the point on respooling it onto another 120 roll and then the 620?
    Ordinarily you would unspool from 120 to your hand then re-spool onto 620. Spooling from 120 to 120 keeps things a bit more neat and tight, and (among other things) can eliminate the fingerprints you can get on your last frame from fumbling around for the tail end of the film in the dark.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You definitely want to roll it backwards off of another spool (preferably 620) onto the 620 spool, keeping the span of film/paper between the two rolls as short as possible, and holding it taut throughout, but especially as you first get the tail of the film onto the 620 spool. Hold the two spools right up against one another. This keeps the trailing edge of the film where it should be on the backing paper. You shouldn't even need to retape the leading edge of the film if you are doing this. It might want to shift a few millimeters, but that's all if the backward rolling is done with the two rolls close together and the span held tautly. Those few millimeters can just be rolled right over, and you may be left with a slight bulge in the roll. No big deal as long is it is not protruding past the edge of the spool, which blocks light. Any slight bulge will be squeezed out of the image area when loading and advancing the camera. I'd only retape if you have shifted a lot during the rerolling.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used the 120 spool as an intermediate method on my only attempt and it worked well. I had only a very minor bump in the taped end and didn't bother to re-do it. Ran Delta 100 through my Brownie Target Six-20!

Maybe the answers weren't complete on using the intermediate spooling .... You have to keep the front end the front end after the respooling because the trailing end isn't taped to the backing. And also, the numbers on the backing will be out of kilter if you try to wind directly on to a 620 spool from the original 120 (you would be trying to start from frame 8/12/16, and the rows of numbers could be offset the wrong way for the red window in the camera back).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin