Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,483,008   Online: 764

Shooter
    Multi Format

Question about the Yashicamat 124 and adjusting the meter for filter correction

I just got myself a nice mint Yashicamat 124. I was going to get a Mamiya c330, but then after some thinking I think it would be in my best interest to have a fixed focal length. I think with a tlr with a swapable lens I would loose focus and be swapping lenses out too much instead of focusing on just taking photos.

Anyway with the way the Yashicamat 124 is setup you can adjust the iso setting for the meter. Would I be correct in assuming if I set the iso setting lower than the film speed I am using it would make up for the filter factor of the filter I am using?

Say I use a 3 stop red filter. If I were to adjust the iso setting down three stops would that suffice instead of metering and backing off the F-stop three stops?

Thank you for any input on the subject

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep. As long as it's not a TTL (through the lens) meter.
    You can do the exposure compensation in your head or you could do it by setting ISO on the mat's meter. Same concept.

If it was a TTL meter and the filter was mounted on the lens, the meter would already be compensating for the light loss.
    I believe the 124 had a separate non TTL meter up near the wlf (waist level finder)? ? ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah it has a separate meter. Not like a dslr. I was just double checking myself really before I go and do it. I have just never adjusted for the filter factor this way before. I don't want to do it in my head because that just adds another step and takes me away from viewing the needle. And tilting the camera up to adjust the F-stop 3 spots just takes me off the subject. This way I can just drop the iso three stops and shoot right then and there once the needles are matched.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    I do it all the time with my Weston hand held, and any camera that is not ttl metering, Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just be sure to remember to change the ISO back if/when you remove the filter
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin