Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,688   Online: 736

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Folks, the OPs is looking for a camera other than an SLR. No moving mirror.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Then look at some of the 1960s-era "press" cameras--Koni-Omega, Mamiya Universal/Press, Graflex. They can be had pretty cheap these days, had nice lenses. A lot of them are kinda beat, but you could put together a complete working kit for under $400. I don't think you can get a Mamiya 6 or 7 for that. If you don't care about interchangeable lenses and backs, you might be able to get an older Fuji 670.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is not clear to me that the OP is necessarily excluding SLRs, because he/she is happy with his/her 35mm SLR.

If the OP is willing to consider 6x4.5, I am willing to make a shameless plug for the 645 starter system I have listed in the classifieds .

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...nses-grip.html

A system you can grow with.

I've never had any particular problem with camera shake. For tripod use, it has mirror lock up. For non-tripod work, I find the ergonomics quite good.

Just in case it isn't clear, I'm not leaving the Mamiya 645 system - the items for sale are my backup body and two lenses that I use less than the others I have.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a beautiful little Isolette folder to sell for well under your budget. That will leave you plenty for film and other sundries.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    If the OP is willing to consider 6x4.5, I am willing to make a shameless plug for the 645 starter system I have listed in the classifieds .

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...nses-grip.html

A system you can grow with.

I've never had any particular problem with camera shake. For tripod use, it has mirror lock up. For non-tripod work, I find the ergonomics quite good.
    I think that the Mamiya 645 with the grip that Matt is selling or one with a motor grip would be a good camera to consider. I understand that the negative is smaller than 6X6 but the ergonomics are great and I have never encountered camera shake problems with them.

Another camera to consider is the Bronica SQ series which is 6X6 format. They are available with grips, are also very good ergonomically and they are not a whole lot larger than a 645 camera. I am not sure about prices, but I think your $400 target will work.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Probably the most stable and 35mm-like models I've shot are the Mamiya Super/TL/ProTL with a motor grip(not the ancient heavy metal M645 series) or the much-overlooked Pentax 645 or newer better 645N.

Shooter
    Multi Format

I don't think the camera is the problem.

I think any camera can be shaken if you are not using a tripod or monopod. You don't say what sort of pics you want to take, but unless it is kids running around or puppies jumping across the floor, I would try using a monopod. You can get those steady supports they use for video cameras if you want to spend the money. I think the important thing is to have a camera that can use a fast shutter speed and use a fast film. Make sure that you have had your coffee, Moutain Dew or cigarette before you do your photography so you don't have the shakes. I guess you should avoid photography the day you get that notice from the IRS too, but now I'm getting silly. Ric.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're looking for a 6x7 rangefinder, Koni-Omegas and Rapid-Omegas are very inexpensive. But with any older camera it is best to allow some dollars for a CLA; eventually the Koni-Omega backs need to be serviced and the seals need to be replaced.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    The Pentax 6X7 is a great camera, but some complain about shake while others have no problem.

I own one of these cameras and have only had one shaky image out of hundreds and that was because I was shooting with a shutter speed of 1/2 second ...
    ...Again, I have never seen this issue with mine...

I'm with you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidia View Post
    I want to hand hold it. Camera shake is an issue for me with my dslr, but not with my 35mm ElanII, so I want something along those lines, as far as shake proof goes, ifykwim.

I like the idea of 6x6 or 6x7.

I want something that has an eyepiece to view at my face, not waist.

And, I want to spend less than 400 for body.

Can you help me?

Among others in my "collection", I have a Zeiss Nettar II 517/16, which has an eye-level OVF, leaf shutter (excellent for hand-held), and was very cheap (<Aus$60 including a CLA), is a 6x6, and -despite its age- performs very well.

See if you can find one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin