Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,726   Online: 806

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Can you help me find a mf?

I want to hand hold it. Camera shake is an issue for me with my dslr, but not with my 35mm ElanII, so I want something along those lines, as far as shake proof goes, ifykwim.

I like the idea of 6x6 or 6x7.

I want something that has an eyepiece to view at my face, not waist.

And, I want to spend less than 400 for body.

Can you help me?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might take a look at the Mamiya 6. Less money than the Mamiya 7, 6x6 rangefinder. Easy to hold, and shoot without much shake.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    About 70% of the shake can be compensated for on a DSLR/SLR by picking a different way of holding it. I like to rest the whole thing on my left hand like I was propping up the forestock of a gun. Some additional shake improvement can come from a sculpted heavy camera body like the pro versions (f4,f5,f6,d1,d2,d3 using Nikon for an example). Then, some cameras like the leaf shutter medium format can be so smooth, that counts for something very real too.

Most of the TLRs have magnifying glasses built in so you can use them at face level instead of waist level. They are real smooth in terms of preventing camera shake, at least the Yashica and Rollei TLRs I've used.

Also, some of the Rollei TLRs have a mirror on the back of the sportfinder pop-down, and if you put that halfway between sportfinder mode and normal mode, you can have a forward looking view almost like a pentaprism. This is most easily spotted by having two holes to look through on the backside of the finder.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Pentax 6X7 is a great camera, but some complain about shake while others have no problem.

I own one of these cameras and have only had one shaky image out of hundreds and that was because I was shooting with a shutter speed of 1/2 second because I forgot to check the shutter speed after setting with the meter in the prism. I will admit I have taken two photos with it on a tripod, but those were half hour exposures, I also used a picnic table as a mount to photograph a sunset once.

I will say that those that complain about shake with the Pentax 6X7 are quite vocal about it, and insist that you can not use the camera without a tripod and using Mirror Lock up. Again, I have never seen this issue with mine, and I am far from the steadiest of hands when shooting, I will admit that I do not pound the shutter release, rather I gently press until it fires, maybe that helps. It's a beast of a camera and you could probably kill a bear with it, but it should still be treated like the precision instrument that it is.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There are also a whole class of folding cameras that can work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    400 in what currency ? we don't know what country you're in.
    Ben

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The camera shake is affected by camera weight, how you hold it and your own movement (even breathing). The bulky box MFs will be heavy. The RFs of good name will crimp your wallet a bit. I don't know of any that will offer something along the lines of IS but I'm sure there is something out there. Again, wallet crimpage. An older Mamiya 6 or some such is probably along the lines of what you're looking for, along with a wall or a post to lean against while shooting.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you all for the info.

Ben, I am sorry, 400 US dollars. I am in the US

Images
    I'll sell you a Mamiya M645 with 3 lenses for less than $400 (seriously) and you will still have money left over to buy the grip which will make holding it even easier.

Basically for $400, you can have your choice of a couple of 4.5x6 or 6x6 systems. Medium format is relatively cheap these days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't remember the prices of the RB67, but you could check it out.

Jeff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin