Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,542   Posts: 1,544,402   Online: 1011

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtngael View Post
    Thanks for the info, I guess a better way to put it would be this; would setting the flash's ISO higher than the one actually used be a way to get a more accurate setting for this use? I'm sure there's a way to figure it out on my own but as I said, all the theory, GN stuff etc. is a little beyond me as 99.9% of my stuff has been available light. I was just wondering if there was an idiot-proof way for me to set my flash so I don't have to think!

Or perhaps I should stick to available light!
    You are over-thinking this.

If for the film you are using, the flash auto suggests f/5.6, that is what you set on your camera.

If for the film you are using, the flash auto suggests f/8, that is what you set on your camera.

If for the film you are using, the flash auto suggests f/4.5, (1/3 of a stop smaller than f/4) that is what you set on your camera.

The only time you adjust the f/stop away from what is recommended by the flash is when the reflectance of the subject and the surroundings is either much higher, or much lower than average (just like when you are shooting with existing light).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    You are over-thinking this.

The only time you adjust the f/stop away from what is recommended by the flash is when the reflectance of the subject and the surroundings is either much higher, or much lower than average (just like when you are shooting with existing light).
    Thanks Matt, I probably was over-thinking it. I also wasn't asking my question very well either though! ie- not specifying *what* kind of flash I was looking for (fill type flash with a non TTL meter camera, no ability to dial down flash output incrementally, smaller apertures etc.). I did wonder if the apertures I'd be likely to be using with this camera might have anything to do with it but is sounds like perhaps not.

One of the things I was trying to figured out was answered very helpfully via PM.

However I did realize that there's another thing about flash that I'm hopelessly clueless about but that's not specific to MF or this camera so I'll post it in the proper forum category!
    Last edited by mtngael; 03-08-2011 at 01:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You asked about the Canon Speedlite 199A and the RB67 and I have both so my response was not generic, it was specific. If you have that flash and a 6x7 camera then indeed they will work fine together using a PC socket, I use this combo all the time with a Kaiser PC to hotshoe adapter on the Mamiya flash bracket.

Now, if the Fuji 67 has a hotshoe then the 199A won't work in any auto modes. You can use it on the hotshoe but you'll have to use it as a dumb flash. It is only Auto on the Canon A-series (AE-1, AE-1 Program, AV-1, AT-1, A-1 I think).

Flash light is flash light. The ISO dial on the back doesn't do anything to the flash at all, it just tells YOU what aperture to use with what film in the red/green/yellow auto modes (check the distances) or the aperture to use at what distance with what film for the grey manual setting. The dial is not actually connected to anything in the 199A flash, it is just a guide number calculation aid really.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah...thanks. I didn't realize that flash would only do auto with those. It's actually what came with my AE-1 but I've never used flash before now so I didn't look into that (don't have the manual either!) I may have a way to use it w/o the PC cable though that will at least suit my needs for now though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My recollection is that the 199A offers full auto exposure with the A1 and AE1, whereas with other cameras it offers auto exposure, provided you manually set the correct shutter speed and set your lens' f/stop in accordance with the flash calculator dial.

My review of the manual from Mike Butkus' site confirms that:

http://www.pdfcameramanuals.org/cano...anon_flash.htm

I'd suggest a donation to Mr. Butkus if you find the manual useful.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by papagene View Post
    The 90 mm lens on the Fuji is about the same as a 45mm or 50mm on a 35 camera. So the flash should cover. But I agree with David, does the flash have enough power for smaller apertures?

Depends on the distance that the flash is from the subject.
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin