Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,549   Online: 790

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

"Reasonable" MF companion to my Pentax 645

Hi all,

I've been shooting rolls of Delta 3200 on my Pentax 645 and absolutely LOVE the detail and tonality I'm getting out of it!

The only issue is that I love MF so much that I kind of want to get a second MF camera so I can split color and B&W between the two.

I'm looking for an MF camera that can:
    -take waist level view finder (when I want to do street and be discrete)
    -Can last a long time on batteries (or have AA compatibility)
    -Can still fire without batteries
    -645 MF format!

I had just considered a Bronica ETRS 645 camera... but I believe this takes a "hard to find" 6V battery? I wouldn't want to be caught at a wedding with a dead battery that I can't replace!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dugrant153 View Post
    I'm looking for an MF camera that can:
    -take waist level view finder (when I want to do street and be discrete)
    -Can last a long time on batteries (or have AA compatibility)
    -Can still fire without batteries
    Hello from the Pentax Forum,

Have you given some thoughts about a TLR. With or without meter. Can be had for cheap and very often has an incredible lens. Light can be used easily on a tripod or discretely on a street.
    I have a Minolta AUtocord and just love it.

Cheers,

Luc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Bronica ETR series will fire at 1/500 without batteries. Their 6v batteries last a long time, as they are only timing the leaf shutter. The ETR-Si is quieter than the earlier models-not bad at all.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Mamiya 645 Super I have in the classifieds as part of a kit fires at 1/60 second without a battery. The Mamiya 645 Pro/Pro Tl that replaced it added a self-timer, but lost the "batteryless" operation.

I just carry a few extra batteries. The PX-28s are cheap on the internet (just search "dog collar batteries") and are easily found at London Drugs and other places that carry a moderate variety of batteries - they are the batteries used in the Canon AE-1 and other A series cameras.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks folks! I think at one point I've thought about all those cameras... Yashica Mat-124G, Bronica ETRS and Mamiya 645 Super.
    I'll have to check out London Drugs and make sure they have the batteries.
    My main concern is buying a camera where the batteries are no longer made (or really hard to find), hence why I'm liking the Pentax 645 and it's use of AA's. Atleast in a pinch I can run down to the store. But sounds like the batteries in these other cameras last a long time. Guess I'll just have to buy a few

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's an eBay listing for 11 of the batteries in alkaline format (note the shipping charge):

http://cgi.ebay.ca/11x-New-PX28-28A-...item415737bb1e

And here is an eBay listing for the more desirable silver-oxide version:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Camelion-4SR44-S2...item563eb80ed5

The alkaline versions work well - I just keep 3 or 4 in my camera bag at all time. Others may prefer to use a silver-oxide battery.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There's always the option of a hand-cranked V-series Hasselblad with an A16 back. No need for batteries and you also have the option of 6x6 should the urge overtake you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mamiya 645 has the 80mm f/1.9 lens

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll go with a TLR!

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    Mamiya 645 has the 80mm f/1.9 lens
    My vote on this, too, if you absolutely won't need 6x6 (if so, Hassy + A16, like someone else said). It will give you the fastest medium format lens ever made for a really decent price (you could probably pick up the combo for $250-$300). Add to that the 35/3.5 and you got one of the widest MF setups ever, too

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin