Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,844   Online: 722

Shooter
    35mm

Bronica SQ-A Lens Release Mechanism

Hey,

Just got an SQ-A body, bought it for really cheap after I was told the guy had problems removing the lens sometimes.

Anyway, i have looked at the mechanism, and as far as I can tell it seems ok. Once the mirror is down, I press the lens release button and it movies a little catch through around 20 degress.
    As far as I can tell, this would move the shutter release latch on the rear of the camera. Am I missing something, or is this latch all their is to the removal of the lens?

Thanks,
    Paul

Images
    To remove the lens the body and lens has to be cocked, if not it won't release. I owned a SQa for 13 years and never had a problem. Bought a second back-up body and couldn't get the lens off the first time I mounted it. That's when I found out it needed to be cocked. You would have thought in 13 years it would have happened before, but it didn't.

Shooter
    35mm
    Spent more time looking at it, I was 99% sure I knew how the mechanism worked, so went for it and screwed it on.

Tried taking it off again..

... worked first time! Tried it a few more times, and had no problems!
    £15 body, looks like a bargain.

I also tried timing the shutter speeds, but it the shutter didnt appear to fire. I reattached the lens, then it worked everytime. Il just put it down to dirty contacts on the lens, cant imagine what else it could be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The shutters on these cameras are in the lenses themselves, if you want to find out if the shutter fires at different speeds then do the following.
    Set the camera to multiple exposure
    Take the film back off and look through from the back as you press the shutter release, you should see the aperture alter as well as the shutter open and close. Alter both the speed and aperture to check both are doing what they should be doing.

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a 150S that would sometimes lockup. You'd have to wiggle it a bit and then it would fire. Sometimes it would fire all the time, other times it would get stuck if you shaked the camera or something like that. I also had a 75PE (for ETRS) that would basically misfire if the camera was pointed at anything but level!

It could be this guy didn't realise the shutter was stuck, thus couldn't remove the lens...?
    Have/had Mamiya RB, Rollei 6003, Hasselblad, Nikonos, Canon EOS, Leica R, Fuji Instax...and some other stuff

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by film_man View Post
    I had a 150S that would sometimes lockup. You'd have to wiggle it a bit and then it would fire. Sometimes it would fire all the time, other times it would get stuck if you shaked the camera or something like that. I also had a 75PE (for ETRS) that would basically misfire if the camera was pointed at anything but level!

It could be this guy didn't realise the shutter was stuck, thus couldn't remove the lens...?
    I thought this could be a possibility, but who knows! I figured out how to manipulate the release mechanism through taking off the front panel, so should be ok if it ever decides to stop working.

David, I already checked the aperture by putting it onto 4 second exposures, and dry shooting it (with back etc on). Thanks for the tip anyway!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin