Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,372   Online: 1091

Shooter
    Multi Format

How many years do light seals last?

Just wondering, how many years would on average the light seals on a Hasselblad A12/24 back last? I've got a 1986 and a 1992 A12, the '86 one needed new seals, the '92 one is still ok.

I'm trying to figure out, for example, whether a 33 year old back that has just been serviced and has new seals is a better deal than a 13 year old back of unknown service condition (looks like new though).
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry but there is probably no right answer here. It's going to be a "It depends". It depends on the climate where they lived mostly. I imagine high humidity would contribute to light seals degrading more than low humidity. Ocean spray would probably really be bad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There certainly is no right answer. I'd say 5 years with very heavy use, 10 years with average use and 15 years plus with light use.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Yep depending on how many times you put the darkslide in and take it out. In my opinion a dry climate would assist in perishing the seals more quickly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are too many variables to make predictions.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh well.
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Way too many variables, though certainly most of them have to do with how much use the particular back has had, or perhaps how long it's been sitting with a darkslide in it.
    I bought a pristine looking newer back last year, in it's box even. The seal failed catastrophically in about a week. But the back I've had for about 5 years and is much older than that, is still going strong with no seal replacement since I've owned it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd say around 5 to 10 years depending on how it's stored, humidity, temperature... etc

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin