Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,699   Online: 1019

Shooter
    Medium Format

Help with Rolleiflex 2.8GX / FX / FW Focusing Screens

hi all,

recently i realised that the focusing screen of my 2.8GX has its fresnel side / matte / rough side facing upwards, which is the opposite of most screens that i've ever used. is this reversely installed? what caused more confusion is that i've checked the official manual - it says

"...When
    inserting pay attention to the exact position of the
    screen between upper and lower strip and lateral
    guides. Take also care that the matt side of the screen
    faces towards the camera. Screens with lens have to be
    inserted with the lens (i suppose this refers to the fresnel) on the upper side...."

could other FX / FW / GX users please check yours and give me a hand?

million thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't know the answer since I don't have the model you have (my Rollei is very old, prewar!), but if no one who does have one comes forward with the answer, you can check it by shooting some pics with the lens wide open and at a close distance, like 1 meter and see if the film shows the focus correct on what you actually focused on. If not, flip the screen and do it again (actually, just do it on the same roll, shoot some tests both ways, keep notes, and see which was better!).
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have the FX and the screen has some texture on both sides. However it should have the most mat side down. Try looking at something in the distance with the focus set to infinite. The screen being off affects of course what the viewing lens sees so if you rack the lenses all the way in to infinite it should look sharp at infinite on the screen.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks both for your prompt reply.

dpurdy, indeed you're right, it has textures on both sides, and now i am sure i have the screen correctly installed. thanks!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin