Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
Unfortunately, your questions will yield as many replies as asking what color underwear you should buy. Everybody has favorites.

In your case I would choose a film from a company that is likely to continue making the same film for a long time. And then continue using it. Consistency is the most important thing, especially in the beginning. If you switch films and/or developers a lot, you will not see the effects of changing your technique. And you can get much larger differences in your prints by changing your technique than by changing your materials.

Just pick one film and one developer and run with it. There isn't one film that is better than any other. There are only films that suit somebody's taste better than others, and that is an individual choice.

Good luck. Shoot lots of film. Overexpose, underexpose, overdevelop, underdevelop - on purpose! Learn from it, and gain from it. Learn to use both strengths and limitations of your materials to your advantage. But please please please focus on technique. Focus on composition. Focus on understanding light. Do NOT focus on materials, just learn how to use them.

- Thomas
I completely agree. So many new to photography flounder around constantly tryng new things and never really learning anything. When you are making prints you will really appresiate consistancy in your materials and technique.

Tri-X is a good choice along with D-76 or HC-110. Until you get more familiar with things I would not recommend any Tmax or Delta films. They tend to be a bit fussy.