Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,661   Posts: 1,481,608   Online: 917

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kiev 88c mirror help!

So I just got a new Kiev 88c (worked on by Hartblei according to eBay) and on my first shutter cock the knob jammed. I took the lens off and the mirror is now crooked. I've been looking at some manuals online and can't figure it out. I think it will work if i can get the mirror aligned. I'd rather not ship it back to Ukraine and have to wait for a replacement.

Does anyone have any advice on how to put this sucker back into alignment? Maybe a picture that shows what the mirror is supposed to look like? Any help would be massively appreciated. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ship it back while it is under warranty, this is not a do-it-yourself repair.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, that's what I'm starting to think. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    a how to repair it is here: http://kievaholic.com/Kiev88_repair_manual.pdf

Of course the first advice is to send the camera to somebody who knows what to do....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan! View Post
    So I just got a new Kiev 88c (worked on by Hartblei according to eBay) and on my first shutter cock the knob jammed. I took the lens off and the mirror is now crooked. I've been looking at some manuals online and can't figure it out. I think it will work if i can get the mirror aligned. I'd rather not ship it back to Ukraine and have to wait for a replacement.

Does anyone have any advice on how to put this sucker back into alignment? Maybe a picture that shows what the mirror is supposed to look like? Any help would be massively appreciated. Thanks!
    Good morning, Ryan;

Orphan cameras. Yup, not an easy life. And, e-Bay may not be the best source for buying any camera equipment expecting it to work upon arrival, leaving well alone a Kiev 88. However, there may be hope.

The Kiev Arsenal (Zavohd Kiev) got out of the commercial photography equipment business about two and one half years ago. They may still be doing government work. Do not try to send your camera to Kiev "for a replacement." It will not work that way.

When the factory closed the photography section, there was a rumor that ARAX FOTO had purchased the parts and remaining stock, and some of the tooling. We do not know where the lens coating equipment went, if it did. You can send your camera to Gevorg at ARAX (www.araxfoto.com), and the reports indicate that he does good work, but that does require shipping your camera across the ocean. ARAX is still probably our best source for parts and accessories for the Kiev.

Saul Kaminsky's Kiev/USA probably was the best thing we had in the United States (please note the use of the past tense; "was"), but Saul died. His wife tried to keep the company going, but it withered. However, one bright spot in this is that we have just located the guy who was the main camera technician at Kiev/USA. Stanislav Studzinskyi was at the Kiev Arsenal for 36 years, and at Kiev/USA for 12 years more. Now he has opened his own business in Petersburg, New York, with a speciality in repairing cameras and lenses from Kiev (imagine that!). He also does work on some other selected brands.

His website is at www.mechanicalcamerarepair.com

His e-mail is info@mechanicalcamerarepair.com

As mentioned, he was just found, so I have no real volume of information about his current work from this new location. However, one of my Kiev 88 cameras is about to go into a box for a trip to New York for a CLA. I should have a report in a few weeks.

You might also look at Kevin Ing's website, www.kievaholic.com, and Nathan Dayton's www.commiecamera.com, and Trevor Allyn's www.pentaconsix.com, and Rick Denney's The Kiev Report forum on www.delphiforums.com. Steve Ash on The Kiev Report is very good with knowledge about Kiev 88 repair. That will get you started with information on the Kiev 88 and provide contact with other experienced Kiev 88 users. There are several others I can provide also if you wish.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Javins View Post
    *SNIP*
    Thank you so much for the resources! With regards to sending it back, the person I bought it from on eBay has a number of other ones in stock, so I'd be exchanging it through him. The listing said it was already upgraded, but I have my doubts about that now.

I do have a Kiev 6C that could use a tune up, so I might drop Stanislav Studzinskyi a line about that. Do you know how much your CLA is going to run you?

I've had remarkably good luck on eBay buying orphan cameras (Polaroids and FSU cameras, mainly). I guess it was just a matter of time before I got a lemon!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Ryan;

That great* Internet auction site has not been particularly good for me in terms of getting a used camera that could be put to use when I took it out of the box. While I normally consider all cameras coming to me to be in need of a CLA, most of the cameras I have bought through eek-bait required repair to be fully useful or to be used at all, and about 20% were condemned to being just a parts source. My main reason for using it at all is that it has been one of the few places where I can find some unusual or older camera equipment.

The Kiev 88 and 88CM are not cameras for the "faint-of-heart" even when bought new. Yes, I have both. Routine maintenance is a way of life with them. The film magazines have been my major complaint, although there have been a couple of things about the bodies also. A black "scrunchee" elastic hair band to go around the joint between the camera back and the magazine does help quickly with light leaks. The original "quote" received from Stanislav Studzinskyi for a routine CLA for a Kiev 88/88CM was $95.00 plus shipping. I do promise to report on the results. And, following that, I may send the Zodiak-8B 3.5/30mm lens to him also. Mine has an aperture that occasionally works properly between f/3.5 and f/5.6.

You said that the seller on e-Bay has a number of other bodies in stock, so you can exchange it with him. Mikhail Fourman of KievCamera, by any chance?

* A reference to size; not necessarily the quality of the product received or the experience of the process.
    Enjoy;

just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan! View Post
    So I just got a new Kiev 88c (worked on by Hartblei according to eBay) and on my first shutter cock the knob jammed. !
    Huh, small world. Mine made it all the way to the third shutter cocking before the shutter advance jammed solid.

Thanks for the info Ralph, here's hoping that Stanislav can give me a better option than shipping it back to the Ukraine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Javins View Post
    You might also look at Kevin Ing's website, www.kievaholic.com, and Nathan Dayton's www.commiecamera.com, and Trevor Allyn's www.pentaconsix.com, and Rick Denney's The Kiev Report forum on www.delphiforums.com. Steve Ash on The Kiev Report is very good with knowledge about Kiev 88 repair. That will get you started with information on the Kiev 88 and provide contact with other experienced Kiev 88 users. There are several others I can provide also if you wish.
    Good morning;

Guys, I missed one of the URL or website addresses: For Nathan Dayton's Commie Cameras website, add an "s" on the end, or www.commiecameras.com

Sorry about that.
    Enjoy;

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin