Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,584   Posts: 1,545,797   Online: 1087

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 378910111213141516 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Selling them on eBay would be a deal. Some flipper will flood the market by offering all of them at one time and the value will drop like a rock. Postage will not be an isue as the seller will only offer pickup is the responsibility of the buyer. He may offer a deal through Mr. Richard Branson to get a ride to pickup.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanishing Point Ent. View Post

I wonder why ? Surely they could have been
    unloaded in the Lunar Module, so the cameras
    could have been left on the moon complete,
    hopefully for some future collector to find.
    The astronauts had enough to worry about rather than fogging the most important films in the history of the world to that date... oh... so there would be a "complete" camera on the moon... ahhhhhhhh nuts.

So folks here at APUG are better engineers typing at home than the single greatest TEAM of engineers and technicians assembled to this day?!?! The "pilots" had sooooo many things to do to land and return from the moon, the checklists were a mile long... and those backs were loaded in a clean room with ultra thin base film.

The lunar module was full of dust after re-pressurazation one of the men said it smelled like charcole dust.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    THis is as bad as a moon landing denyer. THERE IS NO wind to move dust... the meteror crators and all are Billions of years old and intact because things only move on the moon when something crashes into it. Sure a little dust will eventually settle on things... but why post crazy stuff.

I quit this one-upmanship game.... I don't see any women one-uping other folks reasonable comments.
    What about space dust?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
    Selling them on eBay would be a deal. Some flipper will flood the market by offering all of them at one time and the value will drop like a rock. Postage will not be an isue as the seller will only offer pickup is the responsibility of the buyer. He may offer a deal through Mr. Richard Branson to get a ride to pickup.
    I talked with Jerry Ross (look him up) in 1992 about a robot returning one to Earth for sale to fund the space program... it would have to sell for Billlions to make it worth any trouble at all. Someday perhaps one will be brough back but I doubt it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    What about space dust?
    Again look at those Billions year old craters and such... the dust is absolutely negligible.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    Again look at those Billions year old craters and such... the dust is absolutely negligible.
    My lens is too short

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the JPG file here but don't intend to repost.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    To get this thread back on track...

Twelve astronauts walked on the moon in six separate missions. Eleven Hasselblads were left on the moon.

"Eleven?" you ask.

Yep. When Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin* walked on the moon as the first humans to do so, they had one camera between them, and it was strapped to Neil's chest. The classic photo of an astronaut from that first landing that has been incorrectly attributed as Armstrong is actually Buzz.

For each of the five missions that followed, each member of that mission was equipped with a camera, which is why there are eleven cameras left behind.

As to "why," it's due to weight reasons.

The cameras themselves were modified versions of the 500EL/M (?) in Hassy's product lineup. In addition to protections against the vacuum of space, radiation, etc., things like the mirror were removed to save weight.

Incidentally, of the moon-modded Hasselblads, at least two never made it there: they were assigned to Apollo 13. I don't know what became of them, but I will also presume that the cameras meant for Apollo flights 18, 19, and 20 are still extant, as those programs were cancelled due to budget cuts.

Dieter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by KarnyDoc View Post
    To get this thread back on track...

Twelve astronauts walked on the moon in six separate missions. Eleven Hasselblads were left on the moon.

"Eleven?" you ask.

Yep. When Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin* walked on the moon as the first humans to do so, they had one camera between them, and it was strapped to Neil's chest. The classic photo of an astronaut from that first landing that has been incorrectly attributed as Armstrong is actually Buzz.

For each of the five missions that followed, each member of that mission was equipped with a camera, which is why there are eleven cameras left behind.

As to "why," it's due to weight reasons.

The cameras themselves were modified versions of the 500EL/M (?) in Hassy's product lineup. In addition to protections against the vacuum of space, radiation, etc., things like the mirror were removed to save weight.

Incidentally, of the moon-modded Hasselblads, at least two never made it there: they were assigned to Apollo 13. I don't know what became of them, but I will also presume that the cameras meant for Apollo flights 18, 19, and 20 are still extant, as those programs were cancelled due to budget cuts.

Dieter
    Dammit, I just HATE when I have a bout of encephalatic flatulence!

I meant to add, as an asterisked postscript, that my girlfriend met Buzz Aldrin when she worked at Walt Disney World.

Dieter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love that album 'Dark Side Of The Moon' by Pink Floyd!

Jeff

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin