Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,734   Online: 1130

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whenever I see this thread, it's as if I can hear music

http://www.remhq.com/lyrics.php?id=303
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I knew PE would have the scoop on the film. Was it slide or negative? I guess calculating exposure on the Moon would be tough.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by likemarlonbrando View Post
    does anyone know why they left them on the moon?
    They were jammed, dam wothless junkers!

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    I knew PE would have the scoop on the film. Was it slide or negative? I guess calculating exposure on the Moon would be tough.
    I'm not sure at this time. I only saw internegatives, but I believe that a bit of both were shot. I know that the orbital shots used a lot of ECN for stills which were then printed on ECP for slides and onto color paper.

Some of the recovery shots were done on HS Ektachrome cross processed to give negatives. The shot of Sheppard on Life magazine was one such. The HS Ektachrome was pushed to ISO 400 from 160

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Meh. They left ALL of 'em!!!

They wanted *excellent* photos so they brought back their Mamiya's!!! ;-)

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fmajor View Post
    Meh. They left ALL of 'em!!!

They wanted *excellent* photos so they brought back their Mamiya's!!! ;-)
    Lol.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That is some cool info Mr. Photo Engineer. Never thought about volatiles evaporating in the vacuum.
    I always wondered about the Gamma radiation fogging the film... was there lead linings on the Blads?

I talked with David Wolf (shuttle man), he spoke about how much radiation he received daily on the space station.
    Wolf said that in the Russian part of the station some of the windows are not lead glass and your hair will burn right off your arm when the sun shines directly through.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have no idea about shielding.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's funny to hear all the youngsters (my assumption) whining about leaving the cameras on the moon. Every aspect down to the last ounce was calculated. A the lunar Hasselblads had a mass of about 2 pounds.. that is a lot of rock samples.
    THe cameras that were in the command module made it home, what an impressive accomplishment. Every time I see Mr (Comander) Amrstron (and Cernan) I am in awe that they got on top of that rocket and figured just a 40% chance of making it back home (Armstrong at least, Cernan had confidence as it had been done.) PS Cernan piloted the lunar lander TWICE two different trips to the moon. He joked that he would have landed it on Apollo 10 (lunar decent test mission) if he had enough fuel to get back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This book is full of "out-takes" from the lunar photography missions.
    http://www.amazon.com/Full-Moon-Andr.../dp/0375406344
    A real treat... I do wonder how long the family photo-Polaroid lasted on the lunar surface.
    No they didn't take a Polaroid Camera, but on the the astronauts took a polaroid photo of his wife and kids along and left it on the lunar surface. NASA allowed him or he took the liberty of snapping a photo of the polaroid in the lunar dust with the Hasselbald. It's a neat photo and a neat tribute to his family that must have been terrified the whole time he was on the mission.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin