Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,855   Online: 1137

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There was a lot of "contraband" aboard every space flight, and some items just vanished appearing later in the hands of project members. Not everything you see as "real" is! Some of it is made up of extra materials, the real stuff having been distributed among the "staff". My crew was the first group signed onto John Glenn's pad after the launch. I picked 2 bolts off the ground that were still smoking and also one of the ring seals from the capsule. One of the bolts was a part of an explosive bolt that released the Atlas on launch. I still have them both.

I have a spare film winder from one of the cameras that was tested and rejected due to size. It would not work with the glove. And, I have a photo of myself holding John Glenn's camera and standing in front of two other capsules in the white room. I still have my last set of white room garb, booties and hat!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    Not on Sundays!!

Jeff
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    WOW! What an interesting career you've had - so cool to have been a part of pioneering efforts like reaching the stars!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah-great stuff, PE.
    I recall reading somewhere that the color film was a special Ektachrome. One reason the thin base could be used was because the film was sandwiched between the pressure plate behind it and the glass plate in front of it which carried the markings visible on the images. I can't remember what that plate is called, darn it.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Rousseau plate.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hasselblad made earth bound surveying cameras too with Rousseau plates and super calibrated lenses for engineering-surveying purposes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I still have my last set of white room garb, booties and hat!
    PE
    Oh, come on, post a picture. Sounds like you had a lot of fun at work.. though probably not as much as most of us think at times.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I do alot of winter photography and find the cold has an ill effect on stiffening the film. I also read a problem with polar explorers was also film actually cracking like glass at very cold temps n wouldn't advance in the magazine.

Were they using specail film or the out of the box Kodak stuff we use? Or maybe the sound stage they used in the dessert was warm enough?

makes you wonder?
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Rousseau plate.

Steve.
    Reseau plate - not to nitpick, but I don't think NASA was sending 18th Century French philosphers to the moon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    PE... with all the dangers and ounce by ounce calculations I am surprised at how much contraband made it into the capsules.
    I always wondered about the golf ball... I have a feeling mission control "sh#t" when that came out on the moon.
    Armstrong is such the pilot's pilot and engineer's engineer, I bet he little tolerance for such highjinx on his missions.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin