Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,414   Online: 780

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Don't you think the dark side of the moon would be dark enough?
    You can't be guaranteed that it will stay dark.

First, even if it is very dark on the dark side of the moon, I wouldn't say that the "dark side" is totally dark. Just dark-er. Then you would have to deal with reflected light, star light and light from comets or other heavenly objects.

Finally, how would you deal with some idiot who might walk up with a flashlight and say, "Hey! What are you doing over there?"

That all begs the question that you need a clean area to work in. You'd have to build an enclosure anyway. Therefore, you'd just as well build your darkroom wherever it's most convenient. If you're going to go through all the trouble to build a darkroom, it would be silly if you built it out of glass.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Every 28 days (or so) the back side of the moon is fully illuminated by full sunlight and the front side becomes dark. This alternates and so there is no "dark side". Open trays of process solutions or tanks will boil on the moon unless the air pressure is high enough around it to prevent it. So, unless you build a pressurized process area, there will be no analog on the moon.

OTOH, you can't easily print with ink jets there either for the same reason. You need air pressure to prevent either clogging of the jet openings or the ink just spraying out all over the place.

You have to wait until you return to earth or you have to send the images back electronically.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not send the film to the lab in a mailer?

Also, sign up for the Postcard Exchange.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bet the Alternative Processes people here would like working on the moon - at least the ones who need UV light for their work .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I was interested to see this in the '50 Years Ago' section of a recent copy of Sky and Telescope magazine:

"On October 4, 1959, the Soviet Union launched its third cosmic rocket [...] Photographing the surface of the other side of the moon was begun [...] at 3:30 Universal time on October 7th, at a distance of 65,200 kilometers from the moon's centre [...] When a photograph had been made, the miniature camera developed, fixed and dried the specially prepared 35-mm film that was used to allow processing at a very high temperature."

So developing film on the far side of the moon has already been done!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    Finally, how would you deal with some idiot who might walk up with a flashlight and say, "Hey! What are you doing over there?"
    I once thought the most dangerous thing on earth was a 2nd Lieutenant with a compass... and now I find the most dangerous thing is a lunar idiot with a flashlight. Live and Learn!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    ... there will be no analog on the moon.

... you have to send the images back electronically.
    Ron... statements like these might get you permanantly banned from APUG!

Shooter
    35mm
    I once thought the most dangerous thing on earth was a 2nd Lieutenant with a compass... and now I find the most dangerous thing is a lunar idiot with a flashlight. Live and Learn!
    I've always wondered how the war photographer (was it Robert Capa or did the story just get attached to him?) who supposedly developed his films in the field by dunking them through his helmet on a moonless night managed to avoid that problem...
    Matt

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    At 10^-10 tor, the moon is no place for liquids And you don't want to be processing outside on the ride home either because the area between the earth and the moon the vacuum is 10^-12 tor. I can't resist saying "that sucks".
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ron... statements like these might get you permanantly banned from APUG!
    Ok, so I go. I did tell the truth as far as I know it. See following post about the vacuum there!

PE

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin